Transmission grinding under load

/ Transmission grinding under load #1  

Anonymous Poster

My 1610D is grinding under a load in 2WD. It goes away if I slide the 4WD lever forward. It started with the tractor in first gear. It seemed to "pop" half way out of gear and proceed to grind. It never got worse so after a few months I forgot about it. Yesterday it started doing it in second gear. It will work under a load then suddenly it pops out of gear and starts grinding. It may be back in the rear end, it's hard to pin-point where the grinding is coming from. Any thoughts? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Thanks,
Fred

/ Transmission grinding under load #2  
It sounds like you may have a bent shifting fork, causing gears not to fully line up, then popping out and rubbing against the adjacent gear. I would pull the trans. cover and inspect the mechanism under the shift lever. The fork(s) will probably come out with the cover.

/ Transmission grinding under load #3  
Time to fix it. After all this time I am positive you will open up the gearbox and see the problem.

/ Transmission grinding under load
Thanks Norm! Sounds like a good place to start and much more helpful than "time to fix it". I sort of knew that already. Thanks again. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif