hi-lo range shift fork R&R

/ hi-lo range shift fork R&R #1  

yanmardoug

Tractor
2 YM2000s and 1 YM1500
YM2000 hi-lo range shift fork is worn. What is involved in replacement and is the wear most likely a symptom of other problem(s)?

/ hi-lo range shift fork R&R #2  
take pis, but my guess is u will hav e to pull some shafts and gears or something.

/ hi-lo range shift fork R&R #3  
California has worked his hi/lo shift mechanism over before. I can't find the thread. I'm sure he will be along with it soon. At least I think it was California. :confused3:

/ hi-lo range shift fork R&R #4  
Wow. Just sat down to dinner and started reading here - and they're talking about me! :D

Musta been some otherbody. I recently wrote about fixing the diff lock fork on my 186D by welding some metal back where it wore down - where the rollpin rubs against it to push it into engagement.

And long ago I wrote that I discovered that while roading the YM240 (YM2000) it could fall out of high range if it lurched at high speed and the geartrain went slack. I reinstalled the rubber bungee that the previous owner had added on the shift lever, and it has never fallen out of gear again, in now nearly nine years. This bungee is arranged to work without adjusting it when I shift ranges so I never think about it. Yanmardoug, you might try this if the only problem is occasional falling out of a range.

As for fixing it right - I think you need to split the tractor to slide the rail (rod) out the front face of the transmission. With the big loader on my YM240, and a very rudimentary workshop, I'm not going to split it until something has to be fixed.

/ hi-lo range shift fork R&R
Thanks for the responses, particularly California. The front edge (ear?) on the fork has worn such that the fork does not push the gear fully forward into the high range position and it will not stay in high range at all without pressure on the shift lever. With the lever in the high range position, the wear on the fork allows the fork to move forward in the groove on the gear in which the fork rides. I can push the gear forward with my hand such that the fork is positioned properly in that groove. The previous owner had installed a semi permanent metal cable to maintain pressure on the lever to hold it in high range. I am concerned that this "fix" does not fully engage the gears (???) and that, as a result, sooner than later I'll have to replace the gears or gears in addition to the fork. I don't know how long the previous owner had used this "fix." I would appreciate any thoughts you might have on this matter.

/ hi-lo range shift fork R&R #6  
Sorry about that California, had it all mixed up as usual. :confused3: There was a thread not to long ago with pages about the 2000 jumping out of high range. There were good pictures included. I am not as good finding the old threads since TBN changed their format. I do believe you can remove the top transmission cover and then be able to remove the shifter for repairs. Might have to drain some fluid. Take a look at this drawing. Yanmar Tractor Parts: SHIFT_LEVERS Have I been there, done that? NO.

/ hi-lo range shift fork R&R #7  
Winston i think i remember that one. I think it was someone but i remember it being a shift fork, but the one im thinking is not the H/L shifter fork i dont beleive. I have no idea who it was though?

/ hi-lo range shift fork R&R #8  
I have repaired a reverse shift fork before, and repaired the internal shift finger for the high/low fork on my machines. I didn't have to take the shift fork out for the high/low repair though. I'm not sure it can be done without splitting the tractor, as mentioned. There is a (poor) photograph of the fork and the shift finger, circled in red, here: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/yanmar/229002-my-yanmar-220d.html#post2630811

It might be the shaft is pinned in a way that would allow you to drive the pin out, then slide the shift fork off the shaft to the front.

I have had the shift finger bend (break) before. If yours has bent a tiny bit, it may be keeping the gear from being moved into its proper position. If the fork is badly worn that's one thing, but I imagine the finger is more likely to have bent than the fork wear out. The shift finger won't come all the way into the transmission housing for removal. I ended up trimming mine with an angle grinder and skinny wheel on the external side, then rigging up a horrifyingly ugly shifter made from a wrench. It works perfectly, however, and will allow me to easily repair the finger if it breaks again. There is a picture of that here: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/yanmar/198765-no-high-range-2.html#post2290733

I hope you are able to figure it out. Let us know what you do in order to fix it. Good luck.

/ hi-lo range shift fork R&R
I checked this out further visually. The shift fork is obviously worn pretty badly. I don't see anything which retains the rod (shaft? rail?) on which the fork mounts (no pins or clips inside the gearbox to maintain the position of the rod). Neither the Hoye Tractor diagrams nor the pictures which I have found on the net provide any clue as to how this rod is retained. Is there any way to replace the fork without splitting the tractor? Also, are there any diagrams or photos available which are more illustrative of the hi-lo shift fork and its shaft.