Anti-freeze formula

/ Anti-freeze formula #1  

sirgknight

Silver Member
Tractor
Early model YM1700
I want to mix a 5-gallon container with coolant/antifreeze for my 1700. Would two gallons of distilled water per one gallon of pure antifreeze make a good mix? thanks.

/ Anti-freeze formula #2  
Why do you need 5 gallons? The system probably holds close to 1 gallon? And with the thermosyphon system it needs to be 30/70 mix between antifreeze/water to work correctly.

/ Anti-freeze formula #3  
Hoye recommends no more than a 25% antifreeze mix. .75 gallons antifreeze, 2.25 gallons distilled water or 1 gallon antifreeze and 3 gallons distilled water.

/ Anti-freeze formula
I did kinda do a bad job of wording my post.....I have a 5 gallon container that I want to use to mix antifreeze with distilled water specifically for my 1700. This is the only vehicle that requires the special formula so I wanted to mix enough to do a complete fill after flushing and to also have some left over for future use. I figure it doesn't hurt to have extra on hand. I have three gallons of distilled water on hand, so if I use the Hoye formula I have enough material on hand to give me 4 gallons of 75/25. Thanks.

/ Anti-freeze formula #5  
But you dont want to mix up 4 gallons of mix? Thats an awful lot? Why not just put 3qts of that water to 1qt of antifreeze? Even doubling it will bive you an extra fill.

/ Anti-freeze formula #6  
The 1700 will take between four to five quarts of coolant. So at most, use only one of your gallon jugs of distilled water to make up the antifreeze blend.

/ Anti-freeze formula #7  
imagesCACTKYE9.jpgimagesCACTKYE9.jpgI wonder if a tester could be accurate enough to measure the amount of mixture? ya know one of the siphon tools that Gage the amount of Antifreeze to determine how low temp it will hold up under.... if not! perhaps someone could envent such a tool would be handy to have and use to check mixture on tractors like we have ( ones without water pumps )