Yanmar fuel tank

/ Yanmar fuel tank #1  

1401rider

Tractor
Yanmar 1401
Hello everyone,

I haven't been on this forum for some time now. I also have not used my tractor much either. Today I was going to fire up my 1401 ym and move some dirt. Well I knew my tank leaked but now it needs completely replaced. I know well enough to ask the experts before I start something like this. Does anyone on here have step by step photo's or tips to offer ? Looks like moving the dirt is going to have to wait. I was wondering what has to be taken off and where things are bolted. Going back outside right now to have a better look. I also know the steering wheel can be a bear to remove, but I have never taken off the gauges or anything else from the old girl. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

1401rider

/ Yanmar fuel tank #2  
Sounds like your tractor is more modern or has way different sheetmetal than my 2000. sorry i cant help but on a 2000 it sappears you just undue the straps and take it off.

/ Yanmar fuel tank
No clemonsfor, my tractor isn't modern. I bet there isn't much differnce between mine and yours. After removing a plate on the dash, I see the straps that hold the tank on. What I meant was what gets disconnected from the dash to take it off to reach the tank. Such as the hour meter, starter switch, things like that or will it just lift off after I remove the steering wheel. From what I see, there is 4 or 6 bolts holding the dash on. Have you replaced your fuel tank ? If so any tips ? Thanks for the reply clemons..

/ Yanmar fuel tank #4  
Hoye has the Parts Dia. 2 bolts 2 straps. and the fuel line for the Tank. Doesn't look like much
but only a couple bolts for the Dash. Check the Dia. out doesn't look much to it at all. Time for a New Fuel Filter also.

/ Yanmar fuel tank #5  
I not paid much attention lately on our ym2000 do we have to pull dash? I guess you do as you cant get it out otherwise?

/ Yanmar fuel tank #6  
No, YM2000 just unbolt the straps and lift out the tank.

But I think his 1401 is like my 186D where the steering wheel and dash/cowl assembly have to come off to expose the tank. I did that when I replaced the 186D steering box. The cowl assembly is designed for easy repairs and is simple to take off, with all the wires going to multiple-wire connectors etc. Pulling the steering wheel is the only aspect that will mean buying a specialty tool (puller) for the project.

/ Yanmar fuel tank
Thank you for all the replys on this subject. California, do you remember if the wiring was long enough for you to just pull off the cowling or did you have to disconnect the wiring ? I have the steering wheel soaking with pb blaster right now. I was able to move it a little with a screw driver and hammer but i think an over night soak will get the steering wheel off. My greatest concearn is the price of the new tank. According to Hoyt tractor, those are discontinued and they only carry special made ones. A little pricey.

/ Yanmar fuel tank #8  
As I recall - most of the electrical connectors can be reached after removing the 8x10 cover below the steering wheel. I think there were a couple where I had to raise the cowl a couple of inches before reaching in to pull the connector off the back of an instrument. And I used tiny right angle 'water pump pliers' to start unscrewing the tach cable. The ignition switch is separated from the dash by unscrewing its ring on the outside of the dash.

No different than working on a Japanese car where space is tight but the project isn't to difficult.

Take it easy on the steering column and use a gear puller, not a slide hammer, so the steering box bearings don't take a beating.

The only way to add oil (90 wt) to the steering box is after the fuel tank is removed. I recommend use this opportunity to top it up.

Here's a photo I took of the cowl after it was off. The long black rod is the shift linkage for the powershift.

Attachments

• P1640417YM186DrUndersideDashboard.JPG
    P1640417YM186DrUndersideDashboard.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 2,463
   / Yanmar fuel tank
Wow im sure glad I came and asked questions here on this forum. You guys have been very helpful. From the looks and descriptions of your 186 ym, it is very close to my 1401. The steering wheel was coming off pretty easily using a large screwdriver like a wedge tapping it with a hammer. Im trying not to be too rough with it. We will see how things go tomorrow. Does anyone have an opinion about plastic welding the old fuel tank ? I know the tank is original and probably brittle. But I was kicking that idea around a little bit. I will have to see what shape it's in before I decide to try that one.

/ Yanmar fuel tank #10  
A few thoughs, is there one on ebay.... here i will check. Not sure if its the sme tank as the 1500 but here is an ebay link to a 1500/2000 tank. FUEL TANK PLASTIC YANMAR JOHN DEERE & OTHER COMPACT TRACTORS 1500 1600 2000 2210 | eBay

But call hoye they may have a used one they can sell you off a parts tractor? But any replacement that Hoye sells is gonna fit and be almost exact replacement.

Edit: Just looked, entirely differnt tank sorry!!!