Ballast Tractor Wheel Weights

/ Tractor Wheel Weights #1  

thunderheart

Tractor
YM3110
I have a question for you guys regarding wheel weights. Are they brand specific or is there a common bolt pattern shared by most tractors so that the weights are at least somewhat interchangable?

Will weights for a Ford 8n bolt to my YM3110 for instance.

Thanx,

Dallas

/ Tractor Wheel Weights #2  
I've never seen a post here describing weights from another brand that fit Yanmars, FWTW. (Deere excepted of course).

I installed unknown weights on my YM186D but I had to modify them and put them beveled-side-out to get clear of the valve stems. Thread with photos. If you are willing to drill the wheels or weights you might be able to use your Ford weights.

/ Tractor Wheel Weights #3  
cast yer own with concrete... cheap and easy..

/ Tractor Wheel Weights
cast yer own with concrete... cheap and easy..

I did see a couple of threads on the subject of pouring your own wheel weights somewhere. However at the time, I questioned the value equation of doing that. As I approach 50 I'm getting to the point where time is the most valuable thing I have. Much more so than money. Have you ever made them before Soundguy? If so how much time do you think you invested?

Thanx,

Dallas

/ Tractor Wheel Weights #5  
Ahh you have plenty of time your 50 not 70! I would think you could cut all the wood in a few hours like Winston did, set your bolts and then pour your concrete in another few yours and be done with it.

Real wheel weights are gonna cost you $$$. Front weights i think run about a $1/lb i think wheel weights would be more in price as there not as common.

/ Tractor Wheel Weights #6  
I'm 63 and over the years have tried everything to save $$ on wheel weights. All had a frustrating, or at least not fully happy conclusion. Then one day I just went out and ordered the correct weights from the dealer and, after paying for them, had a level of satisfaction that makes me wonder why I didn't do it before.

By the way, some weights do indeed interchange to a degree and I put 1960's Deere(45HP) rear weights on a Ford 2110 and while it was not a perfect fit was close enough to call a press-fit of the bolts. I carried my bolt circle measurements and patterns with me at auctions and learned there were a fair number of "close enough" interchanges out there.

/ Tractor Wheel Weights
Ahh you have plenty of time your 50 not 70!

Trust me brother, I feel 70 when I roll out in the mornings. But the fact is I'm closer to the End than I am to the Beginning. Trading paper for time seems like a good deal. At least from my chair it does. :thumbsup:

I'm 63 and over the years have tried everything to save $$ on wheel weights. All had a frustrating, or at least not fully happy conclusion. Then one day I just went out and ordered the correct weights from the dealer and, after paying for them, had a level of satisfaction that makes me wonder why I didn't do it before.

I hear ya Dogs. There are so many instances of the same thing in my past it isn't even funny. You look back and say "What was I THINKING!!!???". It's the lesson from the parable of the Young Bull and the Old Bull. :D

Dallas

/ Tractor Wheel Weights #8  
I dunno, I'm a generation older than you and I could argue both sides of that. On the one hand I just went out and spent $450 on two lightweight professional orchard ladders. 8 ft/17 lbs, and 11 ft/26 lbs. I figure these will prevent back injuries; I'm not very tall and I've always had trouble with tilting a big heavy ladder down on its side to carry it, without it wrenching me head over heels as it gets past the balance point. Money well spent as I get older and give more consideration to what will keep me healthy.

On the other hand scavenging and adapting, like the $20 wheel weights I described in my post above, is one of the things that let me retire at 54 after 20 years of cheapskating and accumulating retirement savings. (And we put two kids through college with nobody incurring debt).

I would say each situation needs analysis on what will work. IMO buying used or trying some overall cheaper alternative should always be considered.

/ Tractor Wheel Weights
Agreed. I'm the most fugal guy I know. Drives the wife crazy. But like you say each situation needs to be evaluated. To me it's about value. I've always had a knack for making money but that time machine in the basement is giving me fits. But I hear ya Cali, I hate spending a dime if I think I can get by with a nickel.

I will definitely be looking for some weights that are cheap and adaptable. I found some Kubota suitcase weights on CL just a few minutes ago that look like a perfect fit for my tractor. Hope the guy still has them.

Dallas

Edit:

Here are the kubota weights I found. They are on a L series mounting bracket that sure looks similar to the one on my Yanmar ... Tractor Weights

Last edited:
   / Tractor Wheel Weights #10  
I did see a couple of threads on the subject of pouring your own wheel weights somewhere. However at the time, I questioned the value equation of doing that. As I approach 50 I'm getting to the point where time is the most valuable thing I have. Much more so than money. Have you ever made them before Soundguy? If so how much time do you think you invested?

Thanx,

Dallas

minimal time.. and yes.. i cast my own weights in various sizes and applications.. rear, hanger, wafer, dead ballast..e tc. wheel weights are no different.. and you can pour in place using the tire rim and visquine, some carriage botls and nuts and small rebar or heavy brace fence wire..

lay rim down. lay plastic down put carriage botls in/thur plasic and nut in place with heads sticking up into cement area.. use whatever you need to shape the plastif to make a form you want.. then pour.

I've seen guys make weights with 5g buckets that stick our the side of their tractor wheels.

it's not hard.. and is so cheap it's funny...

in this economy.. we all probably got more time than resources.. unless you are just plane rich.. if you are rch.. sure.. go buy some and pay someone to put them on.. then pay someone to use the tractor..

here are some links to some cast weights i made for my 4600.. these happen to be bumper weights.. but shows the easy process..

http://www.tractorshed.com/gallery/uptest/a38136.jpg
http://www.tractorshed.com/gallery/uptest/a38356.jpg
http://www.tractorshed.com/gallery/uptest/a38357.jpg
http://www.tractorshed.com/gallery/uptest/a38358.jpg
http://www.tractorshed.com/gallery/uptest/a38359.jpg