Loader Replacing FEL controls with Aftermarket - double or single stick

/ Replacing FEL controls with Aftermarket - double or single stick
Awe Thanks Winston - Yer just jealous..... Gotta love pop rivets! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :cool:

/ Replacing FEL controls with Aftermarket - double or single stick #12  
@aczlan - Agreed - Wish I would run up on a deal for $35!!! I know this will be a 2-300$$ job. Plus probably some adapter fittings, etc. But I'm sure after the 'upgrade' is done, I will have a much better control 'system' and better response from the FEL. My unit pulls dual-duty as the main 'yard' machine, but I'm also using it for loading/unloading pallets more and more often. A smoother valve body would give me the assurance I am also looking for when dropping pallets full of product on the back of a Semi. Don't need an insurance claim if I can help it! :) LOL.
If you mainly want to slow down the "drop", you might try something like: Surplus Center - 3/8 NPT 8 GPM PRINCE WFC-600 IN-LINE FLOW CONTROL on the "Lift" line. That will allow full flow up and let you slow down the drop rate.

Aaron Z

/ Replacing FEL controls with Aftermarket - double or single stick
Isn't it 'common' on most FEL controls (at least late model FELs) that most of the actions are dual speed?? I.e. - half stick for lift is 'slow' and full stick lift is 'fast'? On my 336/1500 FEL, seems as though two of the actions operate that way, but the opposite two do not - which leads me to believe that a newer body/assembly may restore or give me that desired effect/operation. - Maybe I'm off base in my thinking - - I am not a trained heavy equipment operator!

/ Replacing FEL controls with Aftermarket - double or single stick #14  
Isn't it 'common' on most FEL controls (at least late model FELs) that most of the actions are dual speed?? I.e. - half stick for lift is 'slow' and full stick lift is 'fast'? On my 336/1500 FEL, seems as though two of the actions operate that way, but the opposite two do not - which leads me to believe that a newer body/assembly may restore or give me that desired effect/operation. - Maybe I'm off base in my thinking - - I am not a trained heavy equipment operator!

I don't know about most but the joystick on my foreign made Bulldog loader will control whatever speed you want from barely to gettin it. Only drawback is it doesn't have the float that California mentioned.

/ Replacing FEL controls with Aftermarket - double or single stick #15  
Not much going on in this forum so I'll share a photo I just took.

This illustrates how backdragging the bucket in 'float' position does a nice job of levelling uneven ground.

I had taken out a dead tree and needed to level out the whole area.
I made parallel passes uphill (toward camera) then a couple of passes side to side to make the ground transition evenly to the driveway (foreground).

There's not much to see here, and that's the point. I couldn't make the ground this smooth, if I didn't have 'float' to let the bucket slide along the ground independent of the tractor's lurches as it backed over lumps and hollows.

P1680176rLevelledwBackdrag.JPG

/ Replacing FEL controls with Aftermarket - double or single stick #16  
Nice pic California and looks like a good job too!

My Koyker 160 1 stick with float, the float doesn't work like its supposed to if I hit a bump it will kick out and go to fixed position. And I say that with having JD and Cat and Case loader experience they will stay in float as long as you have the lever in detent going forwards or backwards. fwtw.

fwtw I need to hold it forward if I want float and with the way Koyker tech dept acts when called I am going to forget about getting help and live with it and just buy another brand loader next time. That and this also may be a result of my particular loader valve being in series w/3 pt also with no power beyond in place yet? (project for later) elifino

/ Replacing FEL controls with Aftermarket - double or single stick #17  
fwtw I need to hold it forward if I want float and with the way Koyker tech dept acts when called I am going to forget about getting help and live with it and just buy another brand loader next time. That and this also may be a result of my particular loader valve being in series w/3 pt also with no power beyond in place yet? (project for later) elifino

My loader valve will kick off float position at times. I don't think it has anything to do with the way your;s is plumbed. I have a problem with the small nuts working loose inside the valve. I'm going to purchase a prince loader valve (at some point) & see if it;s any better

/ Replacing FEL controls with Aftermarket - double or single stick #18  
Mine will kick out of float but I assume the 30+ year old detent is worn. Maybe I should rig a wire loop to hold it in float while I steer driving backward.

Apparently due to wear, and more of a nuisance: backpressure while the 3-point is raised carrying a heavy implement, can flow back through the loader's valves if they aren't perfectly centered. This can cause unintended lift or curl. I closed the Service Valve (not recommended) to have precise control of the loader for the smoothing in that photo.

/ Replacing FEL controls with Aftermarket - double or single stick #19  
As I remember it, for some reason we had nothing but problems with the OEM joy-stick on our '83 JD 950 with FEL. I built a bracket and mounted a new two-handled control block in 1991. Haven't had any problems since then.

/ Replacing FEL controls with Aftermarket - double or single stick #20  
I have had imo nothing but trouble with my OE joystick from minute one its been anything but a joy. :laughing: For instance it wont curl down 80% of the time and the float issue. I will be definitely interested to know if anyone comes up with a valve that actually works like it should. I really dont want a 2 stick if I can reasonably get around it I have used 1 stick valves that do work fwtw.