Loader Replacing FEL controls with Aftermarket - double or single stick

/ Replacing FEL controls with Aftermarket - double or single stick #22  
cardoc. I think you will be happy with your loader when you add the return

/ Replacing FEL controls with Aftermarket - double or single stick #23  
Yeah Kenmac I need to do the return first I agree thats for sure before spending another $300 or so on a new valve. Fact that should have been done already but didn't have time yet maybe this winter.

I have the plan in my head and the PBY sleeve sitting on top of my tool box reminding me everyday. :thumbsup:

Thanks dtperk I will be interested in what you find out also hope it works good when you get around to it!

/ Replacing FEL controls with Aftermarket - double or single stick #24  
If you already have a good valve and want float, here is a float valve you can add to the cyl's.

Surplus Center - 20 GPM 1/2" NPT FLOAT VALVE PRINCE SS-2B1D

Sample connection diagram.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/Drawing/DR9-1064.pdf

This valve has float and regen.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=9-7401&catname=hydraulic

This valve has float

Surplus Center - 2 SPOOL JOYSTICK BRAND LV22TSTKAB LOADER VALVE

This valve has float .
http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=9-8329&catname=hydraulic

/ Replacing FEL controls with Aftermarket - double or single stick #25  
   / Replacing FEL controls with Aftermarket - double or single stick #26  
FWIW here is the spool bracket I fab'ed up and installed way back in '91. The almost thirty year old tractor has been stored outside until June, so everything is a little rusty.

valve spool.jpg

/ Replacing FEL controls with Aftermarket - double or single stick #27  
I decided to replace my original AICO loader valve because its curl lacks strength and drifts down. I ordered a two-stick Prince valve with Float (LVT1GB5AB1) that has the same -6 ports in the same location and mounts like the old one. $215 from Amazon. I was surprised what a maze it was to get a close match on mount, ports, gpm, relief setting, handles, etc and then the non-availability of models that seemed suitable. A local dealer suggested rebuilding the old valve - then quoted $498.

Question: how the heck do I adapt my existing -6 in/out hoses that went to the front of the old control, to fit into the -8 ports on top of this new control? (Where the dust covers with screwdriver slots are in the photo below). Would new hose ends be simpler than adapters and elbows? Who sells adapters and elbows? A brief search indicated the cost of fittings might equal the cost of new correct hoses.

Also - I assume its simple to remount the handles up (as listed in Prince's catalog) if they arrive mounted down like in this 'representative' photo. Curl will be on the left handle. This is non-standard I guess but is this really unusual?

And ... Thanks to JJ for the inspiration to tackle this project.

P1700386r.JPGPrince LVT1GB5AB1.jpg

/ Replacing FEL controls with Aftermarket - double or single stick #28  
   / Replacing FEL controls with Aftermarket - double or single stick #29  
Thanks for the suggestion! I will be visiting TSC this afternoon to buy UTF and it hadn't occurred to me that they might have what I need. A SAE -8 to -6 adapter would prevent damage to the new valve (from the NPT threads) then beyond that maybe I can cobble together something inexpensively.

Thanks!

/ Replacing FEL controls with Aftermarket - double or single stick #30  
I would prefer adapters rather than change hoses it may bite you someday but for now should be quicker but I am also lazy. ;)