Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Tractor
    YM3810D Yanmar

Default Re: 4tnv88 Block Heater

Snap-on Tools

I personally dont think the plug will be rusted so bad it wouldn't budge with light to moderate pressure but may well be wrong on that.

Square sockets up to 1 1/8" not cheap but its an idea. This would eliminate the pipe wrench and give a person pretty much unlimited torque capability out away from the tractor with extensions and long bars cheaters etc. This may not work for average guy in his garage but I loosen things I presume are going or prove to be rusted bad with an air hammer and heat fwtw.
    Yanmar YM3810D, LT duty 3pt hoe, 6' KK2 tiller, 6' KK box blade, 6 1/2' KK disc, 5' Howse bush hog, 5' Howse back blade, 9" Yellow PHD, 3 Husky chain saws 346XP NE, 359, 372XP. 07 HD Heritage Softail, Crack injectors, check compression, take 2 beers and call me. "Hey you didn't build that."

Tractor
    Yanmar 2020D

I think I will think about this some more. Clearly the starter has to be removed to gain access to this plug. It looks to be about a 1 inch square. I wonder if a socket would grab on to this tight enough.

In any event, when/if I tackle this....I will add some heat and see if I can get it to budge....if not...I might just punt on this project. But I really think it will go I am just hesitant as I do not want to break anything that involves a yanmar block!
    Thanks,

Scotty Dive
    Yanmar YM2020D "Git er Done Too"
    Pictures! http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q...t=dfc00199.pbw
    Yanmar Tractor Database - Click Link, then click file and download the excel file.: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxR...it?usp=sharing

Elite Member
    Tractor
    yanmar 2002d

If it is 1" you might consider something like this. 7 Piece Impact Socket Adapter Set I think square would be much better.

Tractor
    Yanmar 2020D

Quote Originally Posted by winston1 View Post
    If it is 1" you might consider something like this. 7 Piece Impact Socket Adapter Set I think square would be much better.
    I was thinking the same thing.....and I may have something like that already otherwise a trip to HF
    Thanks,

Scotty Dive
    Yanmar YM2020D "Git er Done Too"
    Pictures! http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q...t=dfc00199.pbw
    Yanmar Tractor Database - Click Link, then click file and download the excel file.: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxR...it?usp=sharing

Tractor
    Yanmar 186d, JD 314

Scotty, if you don't have a 4 point socket (most likley) you will need a 12 point socket to fit on a square plug.

pete
    Yanmar 186D 1981
    5 foot Unknown brush hog.
    5 foot HF Finish mower.
    5 foot J-Bar back blade.
    HF Quick Hitch.
    Home made land leveler.
    Countyline Middle Buster.

Tractor
    Yanmar LX4500, Toro z420

I don't think that HF adapter set has what you need, but I agree a square socket is the way to go. Your local NAPA store should be able to get the square socket with whatever drive size you want.

Tractor
    YM240D

I took the easy way out. 3 years ago I bought a magnetic block heater, about half the size of a brick and 450 watts, stuck it on the right side of the block, and it's been there ever since. Plug it in about an hour before I need to start the tractor and she fires right up. Without it, I would have quite a struggle at anything below 35 degrees or so. I only turn a wrench when I HAVE to. This was a simple, cheap, and very effective solution.
    YM240D

Tractor
    YM3810D Yanmar

I didn't have that kind of luck with the 450w magnet heater I bought unfortunately. It was the easiest solution alright but it did nothing to help start mine. I went to a soft plug heater and it works in about an hour the engine will start on a 20 degree day pretty nicely.
    Yanmar YM3810D, LT duty 3pt hoe, 6' KK2 tiller, 6' KK box blade, 6 1/2' KK disc, 5' Howse bush hog, 5' Howse back blade, 9" Yellow PHD, 3 Husky chain saws 346XP NE, 359, 372XP. 07 HD Heritage Softail, Crack injectors, check compression, take 2 beers and call me. "Hey you didn't build that."

Tractor
    YM3810D Yanmar

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Dive View Post
    I was thinking the same thing.....and I may have something like that already otherwise a trip to HF
    You can always try a 12pt socket first Scotty if it strips it wont hurt the plug to where a square socket or pipe wrench wouldn't work. Some valve grinding compound smeared around the inside of the socket may give it enough grip not to slip dunno?

Tractor
    YM240D

Soak it for a while with some PB Blaster. The stuff works miracles.
    YM240D

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123