4tnv88 Block Heater

/ 4tnv88 Block Heater #21  
Snap-on Tools

I personally dont think the plug will be rusted so bad it wouldn't budge with light to moderate pressure but may well be wrong on that.

Square sockets up to 1 1/8" not cheap but its an idea. This would eliminate the pipe wrench and give a person pretty much unlimited torque capability out away from the tractor with extensions and long bars cheaters etc. This may not work for average guy in his garage but I loosen things I presume are going or prove to be rusted bad with an air hammer and heat fwtw.

/ 4tnv88 Block Heater #22  
I think I will think about this some more. Clearly the starter has to be removed to gain access to this plug. It looks to be about a 1 inch square. I wonder if a socket would grab on to this tight enough.

In any event, when/if I tackle this....I will add some heat and see if I can get it to budge....if not...I might just punt on this project. But I really think it will go ;) I am just hesitant as I do not want to break anything that involves a yanmar block!

/ 4tnv88 Block Heater #25  
Scotty, if you don't have a 4 point socket (most likley) you will need a 12 point socket to fit on a square plug.

pete

/ 4tnv88 Block Heater
I don't think that HF adapter set has what you need, but I agree a square socket is the way to go. Your local NAPA store should be able to get the square socket with whatever drive size you want.

/ 4tnv88 Block Heater #27  
I took the easy way out. 3 years ago I bought a magnetic block heater, about half the size of a brick and 450 watts, stuck it on the right side of the block, and it's been there ever since. Plug it in about an hour before I need to start the tractor and she fires right up. Without it, I would have quite a struggle at anything below 35 degrees or so. I only turn a wrench when I HAVE to. This was a simple, cheap, and very effective solution.

/ 4tnv88 Block Heater #28  
I didn't have that kind of luck with the 450w magnet heater I bought unfortunately. It was the easiest solution alright but it did nothing to help start mine. I went to a soft plug heater and it works in about an hour the engine will start on a 20 degree day pretty nicely.

/ 4tnv88 Block Heater #29  
I was thinking the same thing.....and I may have something like that already otherwise a trip to HF

You can always try a 12pt socket first Scotty if it strips it wont hurt the plug to where a square socket or pipe wrench wouldn't work. Some valve grinding compound smeared around the inside of the socket may give it enough grip not to slip dunno?

/ 4tnv88 Block Heater #30  
Soak it for a while with some PB Blaster. The stuff works miracles.