YM1510d hydraulic grader blade

/ YM1510d hydraulic grader blade #1  

13gef13

Bronze Member
Tractor
Yanmar ym1510d Kioti ds3510 Kioti EX5310
I would like to fit a modified 3 point linkage grader blade to the front of my tractor. I would need to fit a remote hydraulic control of some type. Is there a kit available to do this and do I have to cut the hydraulic line. I see Hoyes are selling an adapter plate which may save cutting the line, is this any good? Any/all suggestions and tips will be appreciated.
Thanks, Geoff

/ YM1510d hydraulic grader blade #2  
I doubt there is any kit available to do that adaptation in a single package. I have tried mounting an angle blade to a modified front bracket to make a bulldozer-type attachment. It works passably well. The three point linkage sets the blade too far out in front. In my opinion, the correct way to do it would be to mount the blade more closely to the front of the tractor, on dedicated brackets. There is a thread on another forum by a member here: Homemade Frontlifter (3ph) - OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota

I think part of the build process should be to figure out what you're wanting the machine to do. The 1510D is the same, for all intents and purposes, as my 186D. Mine wouldn't work very well as a bulldozer, and it is ballasted as heavily as is reasonably possible. It would work fine for filling in ditches or pushing fill up into berms and so forth, but it doesn't substitute for even a small, light crawler. Angling the blade pushes the front tires of the tractor off-track as easily as it moves the soil. Having power-down on the blade would make this trait worse; closely mounting the blade to the front would reduce this, but is an unavoidable consequence of using a small, wheeled tractor.

For controls, if I were doing it as a real working implement, I would basically resign myself to knowing the front hydraulics would be semi-permanent. I would need control over more functions than I initially suspected: blade lift up and power down, angle left and right, and a control over blade roll (tilt). It would be nice to have blade pitch control to influence the "bite" of the blade, but that would, in my (limited) experience, be the least useful, and best suited to manual control.

I would start with a joystick style control, with back and forth controlling blade lift/lower, with a float position to allow smoothing, and left and right controlling the blade angle (yaw). Then I would try a single spool valve mounted to control blade tilt, and either a category 2 top link to adjust blade bite or some type of pin settings.

On the blade, I would try to devise an easily detachable (pin on?) set of side wings to function as a box blade, with the ability to better contain loose material for moving spoil longer distances.

Let us know if you start this project. I'm interested to see the outcome.

Edited to add this:

The setup I tried consisted of a bar bolted onto the front bumper/loader frame on a YM240D, a larger and heavier machine than a 186D/1510D. It is equipped with a loader for extra mass, and the angled blade still shoves the tractor around out at the end of the angle scraper frame. Again, your use and application may be different than what I tried. I was using it to fill loose fill dirt back into deep trenches and up against fences.

Last edited:
   / YM1510d hydraulic grader blade
Thanks for the reply. Looked at the link and have revised my plans upwards. I am jealous of his tools etc but I should be able to come up with something. I have 3pl scoop that I will use instead of the blade ( more versatile). Have ordered the adaptors for the hydraulic pump from Hoye's but that will take some time to get to Australia. Somebody suggested I make up my own hoses using Duffield fittings on 2 skin hoses. Is this pratical in a home workshop. Just have to decide whether to make it up as proper loader or keep it reasonably simple like the Kubota one. I will try and keep my progress posted but it won't be a short term project.
Once again thanks for the reply it was very useful, Geoff