Installation of overrunning clutch

/ Installation of overrunning clutch #1  

rccoyote

Bronze Member
Tractor
Yanmar 1820D
Hey guys, I am wandering if I am installing my overrunning clutch correctly? I lined up the holes(outer,inner, and pto shaft)slid the overrunning clutch on the pto shaft and everything seems to work ok. The clutch spins freely clockwise and spins the pto shaft counter clockwise. My question is...How does the clutch stay on the pto shaft? Mine seems to just slip on and off. Is it suposed to do this? or is there something else i need to purchase besides just the clutch? Thanks for any info...rccoyote

/ Installation of overrunning clutch #2  
Which type did you get? one has a spring loaded pin that, when you push it, slip on the clutch, then release the pin, it slips into the groove on the pto shaft. The other requires a roll pin that you line up the holes with the groove, drive in the pin and screw in grease zerks to retain. Hopefully you got the one with the spring loaded pin. Also how does the clutch hook up to the drive shaft? Don't forget you have to shorten the driveshaft to account for the additional length of the clutch.

/ Installation of overrunning clutch #3  
rccoyote,
Sounds like you have the type that requires a roll pin, if you "lined up the holes". You need to install the roll pin that should have come with the ORC and then install the grease zerks. I bought one of those types at first, and then bought the one that has the spring loaded pin as I needed to remove it every once in awhile for the tiller.

Jerry

/ Installation of overrunning clutch
Yes I think I got the one with the roll pin but it did not come with one..guess thats another trip to Tractor Supply. Should it have come with the pin?.Inspector, Is it necessary to remove the ORC to run the tiller? Is it just because of shaft length or can you not use a tiller with the ORC installed? Thanks for the patience...My first tractor, first brush hog and just got the ORC due to advice I got reading the forum here. rccoyote

/ Installation of overrunning clutch #5  
My overrun clutch uses a standard 5/16" roll pin. Take off the zerks, line everything up, gently tap the pin in. I use a piece of 1/4" rod to tap it to the proper depth. Put the zerks back on, give her a shot of grease and you're ready. I don't see where it would hurt to use a tiller with an overrun clutch if your driveshaft fits. Mine doesn't, so I have to take it off, an easy five minute job. Someday when I have a few extra bucks I'll get a quick release clutch.

/ Installation of overrunning clutch #6  
I don't use the ORC with the tiller because it makes the shaft too long, and there's not much left to whack off. The angle (of the shaft) that it would operate at would be excessive as well.

/ Installation of overrunning clutch #7  
Take it back and get the quick release kind, with the spring pin. You'll be so glad you did.

/ Installation of overrunning clutch #8  
Check out this link to hoye tractor website. Hoyetractor(overrunningclutchinstall) There is also alot of other interting things on his site. I bought one with the roll pin also, it makes a huge difference when using the brush mower. I do wish I had bought the one with the spring loaded pin though.

/ Installation of overrunning clutch #9  
The spring loaded pin type is cheaper at Agri-Supply, including freight, than the roll pin type at TSC.
I think TSC is about $49.00 for the roll pin type and I paid $35.00 at Agri-Supply for the spring type.

/ Installation of overrunning clutch #10  
I put my clutch on the mower end. It stays with the mower and I don't have to mess with it when I use the tiller. I know that isn't " by the book" but nothing has exploded or fell off yet. I did it to start with because an old timer told me the weight and leverage caused by the clutch would cause wear on the PTO shaft internally. I figured gear box parts would be cheaper than internal PTO parts.