Tractor Sizing New to Yanmar Tractors

/ New to Yanmar Tractors #1  

rfletche

Tractor
YM2420
When yanmar tractor specs list ym2310 width as 50" is this center to center or outside to outside of rear tires?

/ New to Yanmar Tractors #2  
When yanmar tractor specs list ym2310 width as 50" is this center to center or outside to outside of rear tires?

Outside. I am unsure whether this is with wheels set in wide or narrow stance. How is yours set? What is your measurement?

Last edited:
   / New to Yanmar Tractors #3  
The 50" width refers to how wide the basic tractor is at it's widest point (usually the rear tires, but not always). If it is at an axle, it will be with the tires at the standard, not optional setting. Wide is usually an optional setting as it can impart additional stress on axles and bearings.

Ken

/ New to Yanmar Tractors
Thanks for the info. The reason I am asking is I want to purchase a Yanmar tractor to use as primarily to tend a garden. I want one that comes closest to laying off 36" rows

/ New to Yanmar Tractors #5  
MY 2002d comes in right at 48", it workds great for 36" rows. I think 50" would also.

/ New to Yanmar Tractors #6  
The wheel widths on every Yanmar I have seen with conventional agricultural-type rims are adjustable, to a certain degree. An adjustable center disk gives perhaps 8" of adjustment overall, while some smaller models use sliding, pinned hubs on the axle. The 4 wheel drive units don't have adjustable front ends, though, and some 2 wheel drive machines (even within the same model) lack the ability to change the axle spacing in front, too.

When you say lay 36" rows, are you meaning to allow the tractor to straddle them, or to fit between the rows? Assuming you mean to straddle them for cultivation purposes, you should be fine with the 2310 or any other non-tiny version. I don't know that you would be able to run in the same tire tracks both directions up and down your rows at 3' spacing, but this shouldn't be problematic for most crops.

What are you using to tend your garden now? What crops are you planting? What equipment or implements do you plan to use?

Welcome to Tractorbynet!

/ New to Yanmar Tractors
I want to use a single row cultivator to straddle the rows.Presently using a 8hp snapper tiller on a small garden 50 by 100. Some of the crops I am growing are peas,beans,okra,potatoes,tomatoes,squash,corn,onions and greens. I'm purchasing 1 acrea of land to increase garden size and is the reason for all the questions about tractor size. I know it may be overkill for just 1 acrea but I have always liked my toys. The equipment I plan to buy would be a cultivator, tiller,bottom plow and mower. About to retire soon and want to get more enjoyment out of my gardening. Thanks for all the information from everyone, it is much appreciated.

/ New to Yanmar Tractors #8  
I think you would be well served by the 2310. Your row centers could vary a little bit, if needed, since you aren't working in established vineyards or something else that would require a fixed size. Squash and tomatoes will be harder to manage with the tractor, of course, but the rest will do fine in a row crop garden. A major benefit to that system will be you can use your new tractor! :D

Most of the data I've seen on corn crop yields doesn't change much (for home gardening purposes) from 15 to 30 to 38 inch row spacings: What row spacing is best? : Corn Production

Let us know what you pick out and how you lay out your garden. It's always interesting to see what different people do.

/ New to Yanmar Tractors #9  
Lot's of different and good ideas on garden planting now. Notice Car Docs double rows in post #45 here. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/yanmar/237249-yanmar-tug-war-5.html I use a Covington planter mounted on a 1 row cultivator. I don't actually measure or mark my rows. Just sort of guess at them. Some may end up 30", some may be 36". These little Yanmars are about right for this and they do have pretty good belly height for going over the crop with a cultivator. There is a gentleman down in Louisana that makes videos of his farming. I have found them very interesting and helpful. He is called the Bayou Gardner. Here is his Web sight. I think it fits in on this thread OK. How to Grow a Vegetable Garden by The Bayou Gardener

/ New to Yanmar Tractors #10  
Car Doc's double seed rows in more widely spaced columns is the same technique my grandfather used to use for his favorite types of sweet corn. The wider rows let a person walk down them and hoe out the weeds, and even be able to pick without getting scratched up. When we were growing corn just for livestock feed, he would grow them evenly spread out, something like 18 or 20 inches apart, and we would just scythe out however much we needed per day of the entire plant, and leave the cobs attached.

There seem to be a wide array of techniques that all work well. Regional variances seem to be important factors, as are climate and irrigating needs.