Fluids for 1610D

/ Fluids for 1610D #1  

furnacehouse

Tractor
Yanmar 1610D
I have just bought a 1610d in the UK. Is it acceptable to use Super Universal Tractor Oil (SUTO) for engine, transmission and hydraulics. Or must I use separate specific fluids?
Many thanks in advance.

/ Fluids for 1610D #2  
I've never heard of SUTO over here so I expect it is a UK spec, and someone over there will have to answer this one.

If it helps any - motor oil should be whatever the largest diesel highway trucks use, and 'UTF' (Universal Tractor Fluid) is a different product used in the transmission/hydraulic common reservoir. UTF includes additives needed for gears that experience extreme contact pressure and I don't think motor oil has that particular additive.

I think you will find that products specified for traditional tractors - Massey Ferguson etc - are suitable for your Yanmar.

/ Fluids for 1610D #3  
According to Texaco's website, "Super Universal Tractor Oil Extra 10W-30" is rated for use in transmissions, hydraulics, axles, and as motor oil.

Personally, I like to use specific fluids for their purpose. It seems to me that dedicated tools always do their job best. I like gear oil in axles, the universal tractor oil in the reservoir/gearbox, and motor oil in the engine. I have no empirical data this combination is superior, but it seems logical to me. To do a replacement of fluids you'll almost certainly use a 20 liter pail, and probably more. I'm all for simplicity through commonality, since I'm lazy, but I wouldn't want to try adding oil into my engine from a big 5 gallon bucket, spout and funnel or not. Using quart/liter containers of oil simplifies measuring the volume of fresh oil, too.

It seems easier to me to use regular motor oil for the engine, and then run the common fluid in all the other reservoirs if you like. A long-necked flexible funnel has been a boon to me. There never seems to be a way to fit the spout of a bucket anywhere near the fill reservoir on any of the Japanese tractors I own.

Congratulations on your new acquisition. I really like the "in-between" size of the 1610, and the Powershift transmission is wonderful compared to a conventional gear driven machine.

/ Fluids for 1610D #4  
i'm with 284, use diesel rated 15/40 in the engine and Hytrans/UTF or even ATF in the trans/hydraulics. to prolong its life this will help, using the SUTO in the engine i dont think that will prolong, rather the opposite. plus you have powershift so you do need to be fairly spot on in what you use otherwise it will not perform like it should.

/ Fluids for 1610D
Thanks for your views from over the pond. Here in the UK, most/all modern tractors use SUTO for everything. I'll poke around with some of the manufacturers for their specs

Any UK baed owners here that would like to express their view?

/ Fluids for 1610D #6  
Hi, i bought this to keep the hydraulics/transmission topped up

Super Farm Universal 10w/30 Tractor Oil

The spec sheet says it matches John Deere J20c, which i read superseded JD303, those more in the know may now inform me its the wrong product?

/ Fluids for 1610D
   / Fluids for 1610D #8  
Thanks Scottlw,

Do you also use it as an engine oil too?

No i don't, i havent changed engine oil yet, it seems for these yanmars, a 15/40 oil is recommended. Anybody, If i have that wrong please chime in.

/ Fluids for 1610D #9  
No i don't, i havent changed engine oil yet, it seems for these yanmars, a 15/40 oil is recommended. Anybody, If i have that wrong please chime in.

to be 110% sure use a diesel rated 15/40 for the engine. they are too old to be running any of these modern multi purpose oils in. i personally use Caltex (Texaco) Delo 400 in my diesels, they never ever use oil, pressure remains good throughout temp range. i also only change it once per year in summer.