Gold Member
    Tractor
    Yanmar YM1700

Default Frozen drive shaft tube on rotary cutter

I decided to use my cutter today after it has set up for about 2 years. When I tried to pull the shaft coupling out to attach it to the PTO shaft it would not budge. The shaft turns fine but it will not extend. I suspect the the grease has been washed out and rusted. I considered forcing it by pulling it with the tractor. However, I am afraid that it might damage the U-joints. I can't get to the sliding joint to free it up. The only thing that I can think of is to cut a hole in the plastic shield to spray some penetrating oil in there. Does anyone have any other ideas? I hate to damage the shield as they are pricey.
    Yanmar YM1700, rotary cutter, box blade, disc
    __/)

Georgia - Mt. Vernon by The Store just 5 miles east and right by the big oak tree then to the creek.

Default Re: Frozen drive shaft tube on rotary cutter

Quote Originally Posted by SailorBob View Post
    I decided to use my cutter today after it has set up for about 2 years. When I tried to pull the shaft coupling out to attach it to the PTO shaft it would not budge. The shaft turns fine but it will not extend. I suspect the the grease has been washed out and rusted. I considered forcing it by pulling it with the tractor. However, I am afraid that it might damage the U-joints. I can't get to the sliding joint to free it up. The only thing that I can think of is to cut a hole in the plastic shield to spray some penetrating oil in there. Does anyone have any other ideas? I hate to damage the shield as they are pricey.
    I had the same thing happen on my finishing mower...I connected a cable to the u joint and jerked it with the tractor after shooting WD-40 all up in there...it pulled it loose ...no damage ..I first popped the clutch a little to give it a little jerk and then a little more...so do it in steps...It worked for me...
    Bob

WORRYING does not take away tomorrow's TROUBLES, it takes away today's PEACE.

NH - TC-29 , FEL, Bush hog, Bush hog brand finishing mower, Post hole digger, 6' Back blade, sub-soiler, Pallet forks, 20KW PTO Generator , 21 hp Murray Mower
    JD -3020 with FEL and a 16 HP. K-Grow Lawn Tractor (bought from K Mart 1994) and runs great !
    Clark 130 EN Mig Welder

Silver Member
    Tractor
    3000 Ford 66' 260A International Backhoe

Might do as you mentioned and just drill a hole in the safety shield. Do the hole where you think the end of the outside slide tube is and PB Blaster it to death. Tap on the shaft and help the oil enter. Might have to do this a couple of days.

My cousin and I had to do this with a rusted shaft of his. He removed it from the gearbox and tied it to a tree with a chain and a chainhoist on the other end tied to a tree. It finally broke loose. Cleaned it up, doped it up and good to go. Saved about $80-$100 to replace it.

Before pulling on it remove from gearbox end if possible, don't want to damage bearing and seal. Good luck to you.
    I've got a cutting torch and a welder sooo YEAH it'll fit!!

Tractor
    John Deere 4400 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV and assorted implements

Quote Originally Posted by Steave View Post
    Before pulling on it remove from gearbox end if possible, don't want to damage bearing and seal. Good luck to you.
    And don't pull it when hooked to the tractor's PTO stubshaft!!
    Roy Jackson

"Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one."
    -Joseph P. Martino

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    International Harvester 284, Yanmar 1401D, Yanmar 240

The plastic shield is removable, although sometimes tricky.

I have had them stick very firmly. Don't try to hammer the ends loose, it simply peens the metal on the telescoping shafts tighter together. If removing the shield and squirting penetrating oil doesn't work, I have had only successes by pulling the shaft from the mower, then running a cable through the U-joint yokes, attaching one end to a solid anchor, then easing into it with the tractor in the lowest gear possible. They have never failed to come apart.

Afterward, a polishing of the male shaft with a wire brush and a heavy dose of grease has kept things working smoothly afterward. An occasional re-greasing has kept it from happening again.

Tractor
    Yanmar YM2000

Your suppose to wipe the grease off and regrease every year or 2, at least that what the bushhog manual says. Do i do it, no.

Had it happen on the BH finish mower. Sprayed oil in and freed it enough to pull apart and then greased to allow movement. If it were me i would drill the shiled. Or just rip it off! Mine on my bushhog is busted loose at one or both ends and just sits on the shaft.
    YM2000. MF dirt scoop,4' Jbar bushhog,boompole, LMC 12-16 disk harrow, 4' Atlas boxblade (with rippers). 1980 chevy K10,1990 ford ranger 2wd (285K miles),1997 saturn SL2 (twin cam!!),2001Toyota Higlander
    1986 Cobia 177 sunskiff w/1981 Johnson 60 hp
    1991 Javalen 17ft w/same year 150 Johnson GT
    Troybuilt 4 cycle & Echo 2 stroke,cold natured(need carb rebuild),MS390 Stihl, Northern tool pressure washer, mixes water into the oil in the pump(now dead, motor on a tiller). 5000 watt generator.

Tractor
    Kubota 9540, RTV 900 and David Brown 885.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyJackson

And don't pull it when hooked to the tractor's PTO stubshaft!!
    Very good point there Roy.

Another option is to remove the shaft and apply penetrating oil as mentioned by others. Then chain one end to a tree then hook the other end to tractor, truck, ect with a come-along. You can apply steady slow pressure with the come along and maybe give it a few good wacks with a hammer.

After getting it apart I always clean the inner shaft with a wire wheel on a drill before greasing and reinstalling. This seems to be the easiest way to remove the old grease and any rust.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Yanmar YM1700

Thanks for the help. You have confirmed my thoughts as well.
    Yanmar YM1700, rotary cutter, box blade, disc
    __/)