Frozen drive shaft tube on rotary cutter

/ Frozen drive shaft tube on rotary cutter #1  

SailorBob

Gold Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM1700
I decided to use my cutter today after it has set up for about 2 years. When I tried to pull the shaft coupling out to attach it to the PTO shaft it would not budge. The shaft turns fine but it will not extend. I suspect the the grease has been washed out and rusted. I considered forcing it by pulling it with the tractor. However, I am afraid that it might damage the U-joints. I can't get to the sliding joint to free it up. The only thing that I can think of is to cut a hole in the plastic shield to spray some penetrating oil in there. Does anyone have any other ideas? I hate to damage the shield as they are pricey.

/ Frozen drive shaft tube on rotary cutter #2  
I decided to use my cutter today after it has set up for about 2 years. When I tried to pull the shaft coupling out to attach it to the PTO shaft it would not budge. The shaft turns fine but it will not extend. I suspect the the grease has been washed out and rusted. I considered forcing it by pulling it with the tractor. However, I am afraid that it might damage the U-joints. I can't get to the sliding joint to free it up. The only thing that I can think of is to cut a hole in the plastic shield to spray some penetrating oil in there. Does anyone have any other ideas? I hate to damage the shield as they are pricey.

I had the same thing happen on my finishing mower...I connected a cable to the u joint and jerked it with the tractor after shooting WD-40 all up in there...it pulled it loose ...no damage ..I first popped the clutch a little to give it a little jerk and then a little more...so do it in steps...It worked for me...

/ Frozen drive shaft tube on rotary cutter #3  
Might do as you mentioned and just drill a hole in the safety shield. Do the hole where you think the end of the outside slide tube is and PB Blaster it to death. Tap on the shaft and help the oil enter. Might have to do this a couple of days.

My cousin and I had to do this with a rusted shaft of his. He removed it from the gearbox and tied it to a tree with a chain and a chainhoist on the other end tied to a tree. It finally broke loose. Cleaned it up, doped it up and good to go. Saved about $80-$100 to replace it.

Before pulling on it remove from gearbox end if possible, don't want to damage bearing and seal. Good luck to you.

/ Frozen drive shaft tube on rotary cutter #4  
Before pulling on it remove from gearbox end if possible, don't want to damage bearing and seal. Good luck to you.

And don't pull it when hooked to the tractor's PTO stubshaft!!

/ Frozen drive shaft tube on rotary cutter #5  
The plastic shield is removable, although sometimes tricky.

I have had them stick very firmly. Don't try to hammer the ends loose, it simply peens the metal on the telescoping shafts tighter together. If removing the shield and squirting penetrating oil doesn't work, I have had only successes by pulling the shaft from the mower, then running a cable through the U-joint yokes, attaching one end to a solid anchor, then easing into it with the tractor in the lowest gear possible. They have never failed to come apart.

Afterward, a polishing of the male shaft with a wire brush and a heavy dose of grease has kept things working smoothly afterward. An occasional re-greasing has kept it from happening again.

/ Frozen drive shaft tube on rotary cutter #6  
Your suppose to wipe the grease off and regrease every year or 2, at least that what the bushhog manual says. Do i do it, no.

Had it happen on the BH finish mower. Sprayed oil in and freed it enough to pull apart and then greased to allow movement. If it were me i would drill the shiled. Or just rip it off! Mine on my bushhog is busted loose at one or both ends and just sits on the shaft.

/ Frozen drive shaft tube on rotary cutter #7  
RoyJackson said:
And don't pull it when hooked to the tractor's PTO stubshaft!!

Very good point there Roy.

Another option is to remove the shaft and apply penetrating oil as mentioned by others. Then chain one end to a tree then hook the other end to tractor, truck, ect with a come-along. You can apply steady slow pressure with the come along and maybe give it a few good wacks with a hammer.

After getting it apart I always clean the inner shaft with a wire wheel on a drill before greasing and reinstalling. This seems to be the easiest way to remove the old grease and any rust.

/ Frozen drive shaft tube on rotary cutter
Thanks for the help. You have confirmed my thoughts as well.