YM3110D new fuel injector pump but no power and lots of smoke? HELP?

/ YM3110D new fuel injector pump but no power and lots of smoke? HELP? #11  
I just replaced my injector pump on Y 2210. It's running but tons of white smoke like the post above. I read in the above about timing the injector pump. Can anybody tell how to do that? Thanks Marcus

Look at the other 3110 thread Kenmac started. I posted the procedure there for dirtmonkey should work for all these Yanmar diesel tractors not swearing to it but should...hth

/ YM3110D new fuel injector pump but no power and lots of smoke? HELP? #12  
I'm sure someone has had this problem and I'm not looking forward to having to pull the head just to remove the injector so please shed some light on what I'm missing. Thanks for all your help.

The dirt and rust will build up around the injector there is a small space between the head and the injector you can get a skinny tool or heavy wire etc in to break loose the crud the injector is a couple inches long so dig out all the way to the bottom all the way around them.

You need that clean as a whistle anyway or that gunk will fall in the engine when you pull the injector. With that said spray oil is your friend and shop air clean it spray it clean it again spray it leave it sit try it tomorrow etc.

I believe Hoye has an injector puller that may simplify the job but all the above still applies fyi. hth

/ YM3110D new fuel injector pump but no power and lots of smoke? HELP?
OK I got the injector puller and on my tractor you could not have physically removed this injector without this puller. The puller is a 3lb hammer slide puller and when I attached it to the injector body it took 30-40 blows to remove the injector. I could not believe how hard the injector was stuck in the hole it slides down into? I'm going to sand the injector to make sure and remove anything that is built up on it since it clearly will not slide back in place. I would have to beat it back in. Next issue I put the compression checker in place of the injector and got "0". I took the meter off and hooked it up to my compressor and it registered the 100psi of air pressure coming out of my hose so I'm sure the gauge is working. The fitting where the gauge hooks to the piece of aluminum that Hoye sent me fits very loose so I'm not sure if there is something wrong there or not. I put my finger over the whole coming out of the injector and when I crank the engine there is no pressure? I can feel pressure coming out of the exhaust stroke, since my manifold is off so I'm now wondering how I could have no compression pressure at all yet there is exhaust coming out when it goes through the exhaust stroke? If I had a hole in the piston it might explain no compression but there would be no exhaust either, wouldn't there? I'm baffled or having a mental block as to what can be causing no compression? Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks

/ YM3110D new fuel injector pump but no power and lots of smoke? HELP? #14  
Got an exhust valve hung open? Possible boken valve spring? If mine, I would pull the other injectors and take compression reading just to verify guage and adapter and get base line of what compression to expect when done. Pull the valve cover for visual inpsection then use a socket wrench to rotate the engine by hand watching valve function looking for equal rise on all the valve stems.

/ YM3110D new fuel injector pump but no power and lots of smoke? HELP? #15  
A leaking exhaust valve would cause your senerio. Piston is pulling no intake but when it gets to the bottom on the exhaust stroke it pushes out the cylinder air through the exhaust.

I'm pulling #2 injector tomorrow to see if I get compression readings on the gauge I bought. Next I'm going to double check the valves on #1 to make sure everything is as it should be. Sounds like it could be my problem and I like that problem a whole lot better than something wrong with rings or the piston in #1. Thanks for the suggestions.

/ YM3110D new fuel injector pump but no power and lots of smoke? HELP? #17  
Well no compression after pulling the injector is no surprise to me simply because any crud that fell into the cyl will undoubtedly end up under a valve and cause it not to seat etc.

Shop air blown in the cylinder and carefully lightly tapping on valve stem top straight down may clear it out. Then make sure there is some clearance .006" is the cold clearance but .020" would be fine for what we are trying to accomplish and thats a compression test we dont want any tight valves.

If you start getting compression spray some oil in the cyl and see if that picks it up some rings can get washed down and quit seating until they get oiled valves it wont help but rings it will bump the comp up almost always a bit even on a perfect engine.

OK I've had some other fires to put out but finally got to pulling the head on the motor and can't believe what I found. At some point in time this motor had dropped the exhaust valve in #1 cylinder. You can see the damage it did to the piston. Whoever rebuilt the motor decided to use the existing piston and it has been running for 2 years so I can't really say it was bad but it looks bad. Cylinder must have had the sleeve replaced because it is in great shape. Not even the slightest scrape. You'll see in the pictures that it reflects the piston head onto the walls making them look pitted but that is only a reflection. The exhaust valve must have hit the head and damaged the seat area because they cut out metal in the head and then made a new valve seat area. I've never seen anyone do something like that. Unfortuantely they didn't do anything to the valve spring so when it has no seating pressure when it is seated. You can push it down with any finger and little to no pressure. If they were going to do this they should have at least added a shim to the top of the spring to make up for the metal they took off the head. I'm guessing I'll need to find a new head for this motor. The push rod was also bent and they did not replace it either? What does everyone think on the piston? Replace or go with whats working? I really don't want to replace it but feel like it might be best. I'm trying to avoid any more cost but not sure. Please let me know what experience any of you have had with running pistons like this one. Appreciate any help or suggestions. SDC10115-1024.jpgSDC10118-1024.jpgSDC10120-1024.jpgSDC10126-1024.jpg

Another note for anyone pulling an injector. It took 40 hits with a 3lb injector puller I bought from Hoye to pull #1 injector, 26 hits for #2 and 35 hits for #3. You could not have pulled my injectors without a puller or some other device like it. I will have to sand the injectors and the head where they are inserted to reinstall. Due to the rust and crud you would have to press fit them if you didn't completely resurface the area. I've never pulled something that was that difficult. Not sure if other Yanmars tollerances are that tight or just mine.

/ YM3110D new fuel injector pump but no power and lots of smoke? HELP? #20  
i think you will be unhappy unless you look for an other piston,take the head to your favorite machine shop and get some advice before tossing it,keep us posted,and thanks for the pics