YM3110D new fuel injector pump but no power and lots of smoke? HELP?

/ YM3110D new fuel injector pump but no power and lots of smoke? HELP? #21  
glad you found your problem. Now to make repairs & get it going again

/ YM3110D new fuel injector pump but no power and lots of smoke? HELP? #22  
that piston has a chunk out of it anyways so i would replace it. it certaily did punch that valve at some stage, must have shattered something as a fair bit of other floaties have indented themselves in the head and piston face.

/ YM3110D new fuel injector pump but no power and lots of smoke? HELP? #23  
Looks like the valve seat disintegrated is what I see. I expect the piston is ok but the only way to be sure is pull it out and measure it etc. The head may be no good if the machine shop cant find a seat that will fit the opening but I expect they will find one odds are fair to decent.

edit: Probably would be a good idea to replace the piston this way there isn't any concern of what if no more than a piston and rings is it would be a proper repair.

These dont come with hardened seats but the cast in exhaust seats take a beating mine sure did so I presume all do. I would not be surprised if lots of these get replacement seats anyway. It looks like the intake has had a seat installed also.

Last edited:
   / YM3110D new fuel injector pump but no power and lots of smoke? HELP?
OK after struggling with having time to work on this tractor I was finally able to put everything back together and started it tonight. The good news its running better than it ever has. Whether that is due to the new rings I put in all 3 cylinders, the new piston I put in #1 cylinder or the valve job I had done, after replacing the intake and exhaust valve is hard to tell. I replaced all the exhaust valve seats as we discovered #2 cylinder all but fell out when we were working on the head. This is my first time rebuilding a diesel and I'm still amazed that the valve seats are merely pressed into position and nothing else holds them in place. Guy who runs my machine shop says he does repairs to the valve seats falling out all the time on trucks and the new Dodge engines seem to be having more problems than most for some reason. He showed me a trick he does with pressing the seats in and applying a special high temp seating glue to the seats that he says will aid in making sure they never come out again. Now that the tractor is running again I only have one problem that I just don't understand. We left the key in the on position while working on it and it killed the battery. I shut everything off and then recharged the battery and it fired up the next day but my question is what is killing the battery when you leave the key on? There is no ignition and the diesel will run if you shut the key off so where is the juice going. I'm not familiar with the electrical systems on these tractors and would like to figure out what is draining the juice so I can disconnect it to avoid that problem. Thanks for everyone's help and I'm glad to be done and back up and running.

/ YM3110D new fuel injector pump but no power and lots of smoke? HELP? #25  
Congratulations on completing the project!

I think when the key is on, some current is sent to the alternator to energize it.
Plus of course the charge and oil pressure dash lights would be on.

I too had a h*** of a time getting 30-year-old injectors out of my Yanmar. I almost bought the Hoye tool but after trial and error finally got them out. Here's the story.
Injector removal tool - (cheapskate version) - photos
I think you'll be amused at Hoye's post to that thread where he describes experimenting and destroying injectors while he invented the final form of his injector puller.

Last edited:
   / YM3110D new fuel injector pump but no power and lots of smoke? HELP? #26  
Another satisfied Yanmar owner congrats! :thumbsup:

/ YM3110D new fuel injector pump but no power and lots of smoke? HELP?
California I can totally relate to your trouble removing the injectors. I had to sand both my injectors and the well they slip into just to get them able to be reassembled again. I coated both injectors and well with some nickle anti seize in hopes of preventing any rust from forming again, not that I'm hoping I ever have to work on the injectors but you never know. I learned a lot working on this diesel and feel more comfortable with working on the tractor in general. I don't know much about alternators and thought they only produced electricity to run everything and charge the battery, I didn't know they got energized? I'm not sure why they need to be energized to produce electricity but I know I'll be keeping a close eye on the key position when everyone in the family returns the tractor to the garage.