YM3110D new fuel injector pump but no power and lots of smoke? HELP?

/ YM3110D new fuel injector pump but no power and lots of smoke? HELP? #1  

dirtdonkey

Tractor
2012 Mahindra 4530
I need help and have been given advice from many people but so far no good. I drove my 3110d into my garage the other night and next morning it would not start and finally it kicked but was only running on one cylinder? I checked for fuel and had 1/2 tank. I bought a new fuel filter since mine had come with an inline so I put the factory one back in and bled all the lines, per manual instructions. Disconnected the injector lines at the injectors to make sure I was getting fuel and noticed that #2 was getting a good little shot each time but 1&3 barely dribbled while cranking over the engine. Led me to believe the fuel injector pump had finally gone bad. Bought a new one and installed. Got tractor running but it is smoking terribly so I shut it off and did the fuel timing thing, per the manual. It called for 4 shims 2-12's and 2-8's. I started and it still smoked badly. It starts very easily so I tried running it but it had no power? I removed a shim and tried again. Well this went on from no shims to 4 and no matter how many I have installed the tractor continues to smoke badly and no combination of shims appears to be correct because the tractor never has enough power to run if 4th gear on flat level land, which it always did before. I'm very perplexed since I can't seem to figure out what is causing all the smoke and why it won't develop any power. Do you have any suggestions?

/ YM3110D new fuel injector pump but no power and lots of smoke? HELP? #2  
Certainley don't intend to indicate I have the answer but a couple of things you might think on. Or maybe you already have. Could your muffler be stopped up? Is your air filter clean? Have you pulled an injector to inspect or maybe have them tested? I am assuming this is black smoke?

/ YM3110D new fuel injector pump but no power and lots of smoke? HELP?
I took air cleaner off to eliminate the possiblilty that I'm not getting enough intake but it made no difference. Muffler is pretty much a straight through cherry bomb type unit that blows exhaust fine and you can see the smoke coming at a stready stream so I don't think it has anything to do with exhaust. I have not pulled an injector because I've read horror stories about people who tried and ended up breaking things and I don't know if mine have ever been off. It appears to be the next thing I'm going to have to do though so I'll research the easiest way to do it without damaging anything. Any and all suggestions/tips/tricks on doing this are welcomed. Thanks

/ YM3110D new fuel injector pump but no power and lots of smoke? HELP? #4  
Here is one possibility. Yanmar Tractor Parts: INJECTOR REMOVER KIT

I have heard of loosening the hold down bolts and cranking the engine over with the throuttle closed and blowing them out. Have also heard it doesn't work every time. I wouldn't be afraid to try it.

/ YM3110D new fuel injector pump but no power and lots of smoke? HELP? #5  
Did you see I replied to your request on the other 3110 thread?

I forgot I had posted it there when I decided it would probably be best to start my own since this may go on before I get to the bottom of it. I'll take a look and thanks.

This is what I took most from your reply: (edit: after rereading your post I am not sure what your problem is since no amount of changing shims has helped. I would think you would have gotten lucky if nothing else the odds were in your favor. I would have put the same shims back in to start with and then checked the timing. However getting the pump timed right is mandatory and then we can go from there. You may well have injectors that wont shut off properly now if the pump is making the proper pressure. Or a serious amount of air still in the lines)

I agree with your comment on injectors acting up now that they have the correct amount of pressure. I spoke with someone else and he suggested taking off the exhaust manifold and then determining which cylinder is not firing, since you'll be able to see which exhaust valve the smoke is coming from. He suggested swapping injectors and trying again. If the theory is correct that its a bad injector the new cylinder should become the one that smokes. Makes sense to me what do you guys think? I ordered a compression checker so I can verify that I am not low on compression on one of my cylinders. That way I can eliminate that as a problem. I'm thinking I'm not getting power because one cylinder is not firing and running on two would cause the smoke and the lack of power. I was hoping that when I put the new pump in my problems would be over and I'd be back to working with my tractor instead of WORKING ON IT. Oh well I'll get there some time I'm just hoping its as simple as a bad injector. I'm about out of money and can't afford too much more in repairs. Appreciate everyone's help.

Last edited:
   / YM3110D new fuel injector pump but no power and lots of smoke? HELP? #7  
I forgot I had posted it there when I decided it would probably be best to start my own since this may go on before I get to the bottom of it. I'll take a look and thanks.

This is what I took most from your reply: (edit: after rereading your post I am not sure what your problem is since no amount of changing shims has helped. I would think you would have gotten lucky if nothing else the odds were in your favor. I would have put the same shims back in to start with and then checked the timing. However getting the pump timed right is mandatory and then we can go from there. You may well have injectors that wont shut off properly now if the pump is making the proper pressure. Or a serious amount of air still in the lines)

I agree with your comment on injectors acting up now that they have the correct amount of pressure. I spoke with someone else and he suggested taking off the exhaust manifold and then determining which cylinder is not firing, since you'll be able to see which exhaust valve the smoke is coming from. He suggested swapping injectors and trying again. If the theory is correct that its a bad injector the new cylinder should become the one that smokes. Makes sense to me what do you guys think?

That may work. I wouldn't run it any longer that needed. At this point, , its worth trying. When you get it working. Check your oil. Some of that extra diesel fuel may have wound up in your oil

/ YM3110D new fuel injector pump but no power and lots of smoke? HELP? #8  
Seriously Id make that pump timing right also while you are "working" on it very important to that engine making power efficiently and staying alive. good luck :thumbsup:

/ YM3110D new fuel injector pump but no power and lots of smoke? HELP? #9  
I just replaced my injector pump on Y 2210. It's running but tons of white smoke like the post above. I read in the above about timing the injector pump. Can anybody tell how to do that? Thanks Marcus

OK I removed the exhaust manifold and clearly it is the number 1 Cylinder that's smoking. I wanted to check the compression to rule that out and then deduce that it has to be the injector but upon loosening the injector I cannot get it to move. Does anyone have any tricks to try to remove the injector, that appears to have been there since it was manufactured? I tried turning over the engine to blow it out but no luck. I have a puller but it uses 3 pull points and the back of the injector, where you can grab it is sloped so the jaws on the puller just slide off. I'm sure someone has had this problem and I'm not looking forward to having to pull the head just to remove the injector so please shed some light on what I'm missing. Thanks for all your help.