Yanmar1720d

/ Yanmar1720d #1  

Eagles eye

Tractor
Massey 35
Hey gang
My 1720d is working out great but I have a problem that requires your collective wisdom and guidance .
I have an output seal in the drop box that is leaking slightly so yesterday, before ordering the seal, I raised the unit up and realized that the pto was not turning when engaging the shifter. It sounds like/feels when I move the shifter it's engaging a slide gear or something but nothing happens...no noise but PTO is dead.
I disconnected PTO at drop box and when I spin the front wheels turn and the diff seems to be working under no load.
I could use your guidance as to what to check, possible issues and even what to disassemble systematically to locate the issue. I have ordered a parts manual from Hoyte
and plan to see of they have

/ Yanmar1720d #3  
Sounds to me like you are going to have to remove the drop box. I have no manual but am guessing it will come off in one piece.

/ Yanmar1720d #4  
Are you talking about PTO or, drop box for front wheel drive ? I don't know of a drop box for PTO

/ Yanmar1720d
Talking about drop box for 4wd. The front seal is leaking where drive shaft comes out(around yoke) of drop box...slightly but enough to be replaced. When preparing to disassemble I set on four jack stands and engaged 4wd lever but drive shaft was not moving. Read original post for further details. Looking for ideas, things to look for, things to try etc from those who have worked on these. I am a mechanic by trade and have worked a lot on old fords for years but this is a new detention for me so I need some guidance so that I don't do work that is not necessary or tear off stuff I don't need to.......any guidance would be helpful... Thanks

/ Yanmar1720d #6  
there should be (4 ?) steel balls at the front drive shaft coupling. are they there ? On my tractor ,the front drivr shaft turns inside a tube. If yours is like mine you have to remove the tube to see the drive shaft

/ Yanmar1720d
kenmac said:
there should be (4 ?) steel balls at the front drive shaft coupling. are they there ? On my tractor ,the front drivr shaft turns inside a tube. If yours is like mine you have to remove the tube to see the drive shaft

I'll have to look In the morning. It's inside a plastic sleeve that I removed the boot and slid together yesterday to see if the shaft was turning. I'll look in the morning and let you know

/ Yanmar1720d #8  
check for the steel balls in the front coupler if the shaft is turning. if the shaft isn't turning ,your problen may be where you enguage the 4 wd shifter or drop box