Yanmar hydraulics

/ Yanmar hydraulics #1  

Anonymous Poster

When I bought my F 20 D the guy that sold it to me said that an additional hydraulic pump could be added by removing the front cover and bolting a additional pump on the front of it. Can anybody verify this or tell me it is not corect? An extra pump would be a nice thing to have. Especially seeing that this one is so small. I realize that there would be additional plumbng also. Are all Yanmars like this?
Ralph

/ Yanmar hydraulics #2  
To get additional volume it would require a tank for the fluid. It would seem to be quite a bulky assembly to carry around on the front of your tractor. I had a 3 point backhoe that had a separate pump and tank that connected to the rear PTO and was taken off with the hoe.

/ Yanmar hydraulics
Yes I have seen those on the back but this one is at the front of the engine on the left side. just below the alternator. It is not very big, maybe 3 inches in diameter and 2 1/2 front to back. I dont think that it would require a very large tank either. Maybe a gallon and there is plenty of room forward of the radiator where the battery is. The way he explained it to me is all you have to do is remove the 4 bolts on the front cover plate and then attach a pump with 4 longer bolts. Of course you have to tie in to the exiting supply and return lines with the supply and return lines from the new pump. That way the pumps would be in parallel. That would increase rhe volume of oil pumped and cause things to move faster and you could operate more equipment at the same time. It looks like the existing pump works off the timing gears at the front of the engine. I am not sure whether its the camshaft gear or the crankshaft gear.
Ralph

/ Yanmar hydraulics #4  
The F series with two pumps uses the front one for power-steering, and it has it's own resevoir. It mounts as you have described, basically back to back with the other pump. I see no need for it unless you have PS.

/ Yanmar hydraulics #5  
I guess the big question is what are you trying to run that requires more than 4 gallons a minute?