fx powershift trans help

/ fx powershift trans help #1  

agreen

Tractor
yanmar fx235
i cannot seem to get my powershift portion of my trans to meet up with the front half of my tractor it slides together and wont meet up all the way leaves about a 5/8 of a gap. ill attach pics to see if anyone has some ideas.

Attachments

• 103_0409.jpg
    103_0409.jpg
    493.1 KB · Views: 1,622
  • 103_0410.jpg
    103_0410.jpg
    588.3 KB · Views: 1,653
  • 103_0411.JPG
    103_0411.JPG
    720.5 KB · Views: 660
  • 103_0412.JPG
    103_0412.JPG
    793.6 KB · Views: 543
   / fx powershift trans help #2  
maybe a shaft not slotting into the bearing or bearing not slotting into the housing? also is there a bearing missing on the end of the larger shaft?

/ fx powershift trans help #3  
Probably an optical illusion but it looks like the clutch shaft large gear is not aligned with the smaller gear. Looks like it needs to go further to the left (looking at picture #1). Are all the dowels lining up good? All the dowel holes open? Not meaning to say any of this is your trouble. Just putting something out there to think about. I'm sure you are rotating the input shaft to align the gears while installing the cluster in the housing?

/ fx powershift trans help
the bearing thats still in the housing of the tractor stayed in there when i seperated the powershift from it. and yes i try rotating the shaft to get it to line up, it seems like it hitting somthing.

/ fx powershift trans help
the large gear at the end of the clutch pack seems like it needs to go in more but i have spun and spun and cant get it to fall inside the clutch packs any more, any one no of a trick to this

/ fx powershift trans help #6  
Have you measrured the bearing locations in relationship to bearing bore location in the housing. Might indicate which shaft is holding you off. Just rattling again.

/ fx powershift trans help #7  
I fail to see what the bearing in the housing is for, it will also be about 5/8 of an inch thick......

/ fx powershift trans help #8  
Just a WAG from someone who has never seen one of these transmissions apart before.

In the pics it looks like there is no support for the shaft that carries the clutch packs. Where is the bearing that should be providing the support? And from the pics looking at the back of the case, that bearing should be for the shaft on the left side in the pic showing the gears face on. Any change the bearing shown on the left shaft should actually be on the shaft with the clutch packs?

By moving that one bearing to the other shaft, if shafts/bearings line up with the trans case the gear assy should be able to move further into the case.

/ fx powershift trans help #9  
Looks to me like the wide gear next to the clutch pack has slipped to the rear (case side) when you pulled it apart by the wear I see on it where it mesh's the other gear. I also agree with MickyFX the bearings do look backazzwards.

edit: after pondering the form and function of this unit awhile... I believe there must be a planetary in each clutch pack so be very careful they normally have torrington bearings or flat bronze thrust bearings in and those can slip off the shoulder thats machined in for them to ride on catastrophic results pinch one of them (only .060-.100" thick guessing) and try to run it! Better know for sure as how the pack stacks up if that is where the problem is. fwtw my 336 manual is so vague on the powershift components as to be worthless in this discussion so fwtw cant help using my info.

I also think that is most likely because the inner driven sleeve was pulled out of a couple clutch plates, if you look at the wear on the sleeve its possible the last clutch plate is not engaging the sleeve right if you look at the wear on it. It will be one or 2 clutch plates clear at the back of the pack which is where the problem is btw. Those will probably never go back together on their own once they have been oil soaked they will stick to the steels like a vacuum. In fact it look slike #2 and #3 steels at the rear is what is off? Maybe its the very rear one is all but I am not at all familiar with this trany fwtw take what I say with a grain of salt.

Automotive tranys use similar clutch packs and they will line up when new and dry by wiggling them while standing on end but later on doing a rebuild and re-using them you assemble the clutch pack with the inner sleeve installed one clutch one steel and so on and you dont do any unnecessary pulling or loose the alignment. In this case standing it on its end and getting that snap-ring out and pulling the clutch pack apart and restacking it is probably going to be the fix and that may something a manual would come in handy for so you know what all the parts look like etc.

Just my guess also I believe the bearings should probably all be on the trany side and install it that way so the depth of the shafts as they relate to each other can be checked. That and also as Winston mentioned measure the case depth and the depth from the end plate.

Or pretty close from what I see in the pics that will determine if she even will go back together, and if it measures right is probably still will be a challenge I used do this fairly often on automotive manual tranys. hth

Last edited:
   / fx powershift trans help #10  
You are trying to stick 2 bearings in the same hole. Look at the pictures,use the 2 dowels for reference.The shaft for the clutch pack has no bearing.The middle shaft has a bearing on it,and the hole it goes into is the one already in the case. Did the one for the clutch pack fall off,and you stuck it on the wrong shaft? Mickey_Fx already pointed this out.