Comparison A Question most of us ask when we're looking to buy a tractor,

/ A Question most of us ask when we're looking to buy a tractor, #1  

deepNdirt

Veteran Member
Tractor
yanmar YM-1700
I'm sure this question has been asked before, although I'm going to ask again more as a hypothetical question,
If given the choice of purchasing a tractor- one with 4x4 and No FEL...the other No 4x4 but with a FEL, Both tractors are equal in size and HP. the 4x4 tractor is valued @ 10-k the standard tractor without its FEL is valued @ 7-K but with a $3000 FEL makes it worth 10-K as well
.... and you only have 10-k to purchase one or the other, ( not going into any specifics needs) which tractor would you choose to own?
I suppose This could be considered a Poll :)

/ A Question most of us ask when we're looking to buy a tractor, #2  
The 2wd with loader. Everyones needs are different, and I've yet to need a 4wd tractor, and I use the loader on my MF quite often. I am considering downsizing to one tractor sized between my two, and I will be looking for a 2wd 28-30 hp with 2wd and loader.

Ken

/ A Question most of us ask when we're looking to buy a tractor, #3  
What do you plan to do with it? If it is to move dirt you nedd a FEL. I f ground breaking, no FEL.

/ A Question most of us ask when we're looking to buy a tractor, #4  
Neither. If you look hard enough you should be able to find a 4X4 with FEL for that much money.

/ A Question most of us ask when we're looking to buy a tractor, #5  
Never had 4 x 4 until owning a SCUT. They are so under weight Vs HP that it is hard to use the power for anything other than PTO so if doing ground engaging work or FEL work the 4 x 4 is real handy.

That being said there are you looking at an Ag tractor or CUT?

/ A Question most of us ask when we're looking to buy a tractor, #6  
.... and you only have 10-k to purchase one or the other, ( not going into any specifics needs)
Its a rigged question.

If you don't define your needs then you don't need a tractor at all. Spend the $10k on a nice tour of Europe or something.

:D

/ A Question most of us ask when we're looking to buy a tractor, #7  
When my grandfather had two wheel drive loader tractors they sure beat a shovel and wheel barrow. But now that my loader tractor is four wheel drive I'd never go back.

/ A Question most of us ask when we're looking to buy a tractor,
Its a rigged question.

If you don't define your needs then you don't need a tractor at all. Spend the $10k on a nice tour of Europe or something.

:D
I'd love to take a trip to Europe, although too much work to do around here and would be even more when I returned :D The reason I stated "No specific needs" was to keep it more of a general question as to what choice most folks would make? ( Generally ) I'll try ask it a different way;) would a tractor be more useful having a 4wd or having a FEL for doing everyday farm use? Reason for my asking is I have a friend who purchased a 10-k orange 4wd tractor and now he wish he had of gotten one with a FEL instead, He says he reallynever needs the 4wd feature ( doing what he does) on his mildley slopped property,
yes it's true everyone has their own needs of a tractor and what we use our tractors for, But again I'm asking which would be the most sensible choice to get the most use from a tractor, 4x4 or FEL?:cool: Personally: I use my FEL most every time I use my tractor, though probably rarely would I use a 4wd feature if I were to have it, just as my friend has come to realize, To him his money would have best been spent on having a FEL.

/ A Question most of us ask when we're looking to buy a tractor, #9  
it is IMPOSSIBLE to answer without knowing the needs.

Your friend says he never uses 4wd.....well if that tractor had a FEL on, he most certainly would need 4wd just getting around if it is mildly wet with no rear weight. But properly ballasted and counterweighted, you can do alot with a 2wd. Again, it all depends on usage.

For example, if he wants to do any serious digging with that FEL....4wd is a HUGE benefit.
If he just wants to move some haybails or clean out some stalls, with proper ballast, a 2wd is fine.

If he wants to plow some ground (or anything pull type that dont really add weight over the back) the 2wd with the loader would be worse than a 2wd WITHOUT the loader. So If I were getting a 2wd, I'd make sure the loader is easily detached.

It sounds to me like he got a 4wd with a loader, and dont really use the loader much. (not needing 4wd). IF that is the case, as long as he gets a 2wd that the loader comes off easily, I think he will be happy.

/ A Question most of us ask when we're looking to buy a tractor, #10  
Don't even consider FEL w/o front wheel assist. You'll hate yourself in the long run. Just make sure you buy the quick-tach on the FEL, then you can drop the bucket out of your way and have better visibility for farming.