ym2000 high/low will not stay in high

/ ym2000 high/low will not stay in high #1  

REC1

Tractor
YM2000
I am having a problem with my yanmar not staying in high gear. It keeps popping out of high. Low seems to be fine.
I checked the spring and ball to see if it was in need of repair, but it looked fine. Any help would be appriecated.
Thanks.
Richard

/ ym2000 high/low will not stay in high #2  
I have heard of guys taking a tarp strap and wrapping it around the lever to hold it in...seriously its true and it apparently works. hth

/ ym2000 high/low will not stay in high #4  
yea california has that bungie 7fix and i thin5k its been like that going on 8 years or so? Maybe longer. I think its either worn balls or dentets or forks? But the bungie seems to have worked for california so far with no ill effects and he seems to be one to fix stuff that needs fixin.

/ ym2000 high/low will not stay in high #5  
ahh dang cats walking on the keyboard while i type!!

/ ym2000 high/low will not stay in high #6  
yea california has that bungie fix and i think its been like that going on 8 years ... the bungie seems to have worked for california so far with no ill effects and he seems to be one to fix stuff that needs fixin.
I found the bungie on it when I bought it in 2003 and it simply does the job. I'll get into replacing the detent spring, ball, maybe lever, etc if I ever have to split the tractor for something else - hopefully never. But mine wasn't very serious, it fell out of Hi range only a couple of times in the month I tested it without the bungie. Both times were while bouncing over rough ground roading it at maximum speed. I think there was more back and forth slack and shock compared to just operating the tractor.

This isn't an elegant solution - but splitting the tractor just to take the place of this isn't worth the trouble while this does the job.
There isn't much tension on the bungie. Shifting effort feels the same with or without it.
The hook slides down to the base of the shift lever in Lo range so there isn't any pressure pulling it out of Lo range.

203391d1299738098-no-high-range-p1630840rym240-shifterbungee.jpg

/ ym2000 high/low will not stay in high #7  
Early stages the bungee should work. There have been cases where the ball detent, bungee cord and all other attempts have failed. The problem can be much deeper. The set of hi/lo range shift gears have dogs that match and lock together when they slide down the shaft. Here is a picture of one of them. Yanmar Tractor Parts: HI-LO GEAR (51 TEETH)_ If those dogs get worn they don't want to stay meshed. I would definitely go with the bungee if it will work.

/ ym2000 high/low will not stay in high #8  
006.jpgIt looks like a typical thing with these models, earlier in the year my 1700 started doing the same thing, ( jumping out of gear ) although not just doing it randomly, it would do it while forcing it forward to dig with the loader then suddenly jump out, it never does it as long as I'm not pushing against something, But the fact is I'm almost always using the loader bucket pushing or digging so I wound up doing the quick-fix , ( strapping it back with a Bungee ):cool: just as already mentioned when it's necessary to go into the gearbox I'll wind up repairing it,;)

/ ym2000 high/low will not stay in high
thanks fo the info

View attachment 287134It looks like a typical thing with these models, earlier in the year my 1700 started doing the same thing, ( jumping out of gear ) although not just doing it randomly, it would do it while forcing it forward to dig with the loader then suddenly jump out, it never does it as long as I'm not pushing against something, But the fact is I'm almost always using the loader bucket pushing or digging so I wound up doing the quick-fix , ( strapping it back with a Bungee ):cool: just as already mentioned when it's necessary to go into the gearbox I'll wind up repairing it,;)

/ ym2000 high/low will not stay in high
Thanks for the info