Tractor
    YM2000

Default ym2000 high/low will not stay in high

I am having a problem with my yanmar not staying in high gear. It keeps popping out of high. Low seems to be fine.
    I checked the spring and ball to see if it was in need of repair, but it looked fine. Any help would be appriecated.
    Thanks.
    Richard

Tractor
    YM3810D Yanmar

Default Re: ym2000 high/low will not stay in high

I have heard of guys taking a tarp strap and wrapping it around the lever to hold it in...seriously its true and it apparently works. hth
    Yanmar YM3810D, LT duty 3pt hoe, 6' KK2 tiller, 6' KK box blade, 6 1/2' KK disc, 5' Howse bush hog, 5' Howse back blade, 9" Yellow PHD, 3 Husky chain saws 346XP NE, 359, 372XP. 07 HD Heritage Softail, Crack injectors, check compression, take 2 beers and call me. "Hey you didn't build that."

Tractor
    yanmar 3110D

maybe something in this Yanmar Tractor Parts: SHIFT_LEVERS

diagram will help you
    Yanmar 3110D
    07 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins
    Husky 372xp
    Husky 55 Rancher
    Maruyama trimmer
    Husky trimmer
    Redmax BP blower
    Toro zero turn
    North Star 4 K PSI pressure washer
    Honda 300 4 trax
    Yamaha Timberwolf
    liquid logic coupe kayak
    16' Tow Master Dump Trailer ,20' Yanmar Hauler

Tractor
    Yanmar YM2000

yea california has that bungie 7fix and i thin5k its been like that going on 8 years or so? Maybe longer. I think its either worn balls or dentets or forks? But the bungie seems to have worked for california so far with no ill effects and he seems to be one to fix stuff that needs fixin.
    YM2000. MF dirt scoop,4' Jbar bushhog,boompole, LMC 12-16 disk harrow, 4' Atlas boxblade (with rippers). 1980 chevy K10,1990 ford ranger 2wd (285K miles),1997 saturn SL2 (twin cam!!),2001Toyota Higlander
    1986 Cobia 177 sunskiff w/1981 Johnson 60 hp
    1991 Javalen 17ft w/same year 150 Johnson GT
    Troybuilt 4 cycle & Echo 2 stroke,cold natured(need carb rebuild),MS390 Stihl, Northern tool pressure washer, mixes water into the oil in the pump(now dead, motor on a tiller). 5000 watt generator.

Tractor
    Yanmar YM2000

ahh dang cats walking on the keyboard while i type!!
    YM2000. MF dirt scoop,4' Jbar bushhog,boompole, LMC 12-16 disk harrow, 4' Atlas boxblade (with rippers). 1980 chevy K10,1990 ford ranger 2wd (285K miles),1997 saturn SL2 (twin cam!!),2001Toyota Higlander
    1986 Cobia 177 sunskiff w/1981 Johnson 60 hp
    1991 Javalen 17ft w/same year 150 Johnson GT
    Troybuilt 4 cycle & Echo 2 stroke,cold natured(need carb rebuild),MS390 Stihl, Northern tool pressure washer, mixes water into the oil in the pump(now dead, motor on a tiller). 5000 watt generator.

Tractor
    Yanmar YM240, YM186D, and another YM186D

Quote Originally Posted by clemsonfor View Post
    yea california has that bungie fix and i think its been like that going on 8 years ... the bungie seems to have worked for california so far with no ill effects and he seems to be one to fix stuff that needs fixin.
    I found the bungie on it when I bought it in 2003 and it simply does the job. I'll get into replacing the detent spring, ball, maybe lever, etc if I ever have to split the tractor for something else - hopefully never. But mine wasn't very serious, it fell out of Hi range only a couple of times in the month I tested it without the bungie. Both times were while bouncing over rough ground roading it at maximum speed. I think there was more back and forth slack and shock compared to just operating the tractor.

This isn't an elegant solution - but splitting the tractor just to take the place of this isn't worth the trouble while this does the job.
    There isn't much tension on the bungie. Shifting effort feels the same with or without it.
    The hook slides down to the base of the shift lever in Lo range so there isn't any pressure pulling it out of Lo range.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Bobcat CT235

Early stages the bungee should work. There have been cases where the ball detent, bungee cord and all other attempts have failed. The problem can be much deeper. The set of hi/lo range shift gears have dogs that match and lock together when they slide down the shaft. Here is a picture of one of them. Yanmar Tractor Parts: HI-LO GEAR (51 TEETH)_ If those dogs get worn they don't want to stay meshed. I would definitely go with the bungee if it will work.

Tractor
    yanmar YM-1700

-006-jpgIt looks like a typical thing with these models, earlier in the year my 1700 started doing the same thing, ( jumping out of gear ) although not just doing it randomly, it would do it while forcing it forward to dig with the loader then suddenly jump out, it never does it as long as I'm not pushing against something, But the fact is I'm almost always using the loader bucket pushing or digging so I wound up doing the quick-fix , ( strapping it back with a Bungee ) just as already mentioned when it's necessary to go into the gearbox I'll wind up repairing it,
    Never judge a man until you've walked a day in his shoes,

Tractor
    YM2000

thanks fo the info

Quote Originally Posted by deepNdirt View Post
    -006-jpgIt looks like a typical thing with these models, earlier in the year my 1700 started doing the same thing, ( jumping out of gear ) although not just doing it randomly, it would do it while forcing it forward to dig with the loader then suddenly jump out, it never does it as long as I'm not pushing against something, But the fact is I'm almost always using the loader bucket pushing or digging so I wound up doing the quick-fix , ( strapping it back with a Bungee ) just as already mentioned when it's necessary to go into the gearbox I'll wind up repairing it,

Tractor
    YM2000

Thanks for the info