YM 1700 cooling questions and other things

/ YM 1700 cooling questions and other things #1  

puresol

Bronze Member
Tractor
Yanmar 1700
The fluid from the radiator is coming out of the overflow tube. My first thought is the radiator cap, same problem I had with a car one time. Radiator appears to be same dimensions as the original, but cap doesnt look the same as part sold a Hoye. Will replace the cap when it comes in. What can I do to troubleshoot in the mean time. Im not sure the temp sending unit is working so I ordered a new unit and bulbs, along with oil sending unit. Also in the front end all the rubber is dry rotted. Where can I get replacements? I didnt see them on the Hoye site.

/ YM 1700 cooling questions and other things
Man every time I turn around I find out something else is missing. Really stinks I just ordered a bunch of parts from Hoye. Guess I will wait till my next order. Can the tractor be operated safely without it?

/ YM 1700 cooling questions and other things #4  
I owned a YM1700 for 14 years...
It had an overflow bottle...
Your cooling system is referred to as therm-o-siphon...
The system does not have a water pump...
As the engine heats up the hot water in the system flows to the top of the radiator and the cool returns to the block...
Once you get up to operating temps you can feel the difference in the temps on the radiator...
System works well but I did add a water pump later just for my own satisfaction...

/ YM 1700 cooling questions and other things #5  
Man every time I turn around I find out something else is missing. Really stinks I just ordered a bunch of parts from Hoye. Guess I will wait till my next order. Can the tractor be operated safely without it?

Yes, it can be operated safely without it. You will just need to watch your coolant level. If this is a continuing flow of water out the overflow tube then something is wrong. Could be the cap or actual over heating.

/ YM 1700 cooling questions and other things #6  
someone on here has posted where they took a 20oz bottle, like a coke, but i would use pepsi due to less taper, i should say mtn dew....anyway, i think they either left it open and just put tube in the top or what i would do is drill a hole in cap for tube then silicone it in there. then use a large hose clamp to secure the bottle to radiator. who ever it was said they had run it for yrs like that. it loks ghetto as **** but works and is free. as u see u can run it without bottlle, u just have to keep filling it up each time it gets hotter than normal.

Good information. I found a universal coolant reservoir at the local chain auto parts store. They have a 1.5 qt and a 2.5 qt. I am working today but will go at lunch to pick up. If a 20 oz bottle will work, then the 1.5 qt would be ok. Does anyone no the exact capacity of the overflow tank?

How important is it that the reservoir be located in front of the radiator?

/ YM 1700 cooling questions and other things #9  
It's not. There's not a good place to mount it from the Fan Shroud behind it. If you look at the front upper right there is Two channels that the Orig. bottle slides into. I would just :D Rig a mount to hold the botttle and let it go. Does it have a Water Pump Converstion Added? If not I would wait and order a new Bottle when you do add a water pump.

/ YM 1700 cooling questions and other things #10  
That reservoir isn't essential. It may have been optional on YM1700. Cars from 50 years ago just had expansion space above the water in the radiator and I expect your Yanmar was the same.

I tried a cube-shaped replacement reservoir and couldn't make it fit, so I used a Nalgene bottle like the ones that fit on a bicycle. (and in my case, I re-used the lid off the original cracked bottle.) A large hose clamp secures the bottle to the original mounting pad in front of the radiator.

It doesn't make any difference if it is in front or behind the radiator. Capacity: about a pint.

I'm not convinced YM1700 needs a water pump, especially because they worked fine for 30 years without one. Why add complexity? I would spend the equivalent on restoring the cooling system to original spec.