Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tractor
    yanmar 3110D

Default Re: New(ish) Yanmar Owner - Question about Gauges, Gears, Levers, Buttons - the works

6.8 quarts of oil with filter....oil plug is underneath at the oil pan.. Hyd system is 5.8 gallons . If I haven't started mine in a while, I pull the de-comp. lever spin the engine over until the oil light goes out. push in de- comp. lever & start
    A Fredricks Yanmar 3110D
    07 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins
    Husky 372xp
    Husky 55 Rancher
    Maruyama trimmer
    Husky trimmer
    Redmax BP blower
    Toro zero turn
    North Star 4 K PSI pressure washer
    Honda 300 4 trax
    Yamaha Timberwolf
    liquid logic coupe kayak
    16' Tow Master Dump Trailer ,20' Yanmar Hauler

Tractor
    Yanmar 155D

Default Re: New(ish) Yanmar Owner - Question about Gauges, Gears, Levers, Buttons - the works

Fuel filters? Now this is getting complicated! Are they difficult to change? I'm trying to absorb the service manual, but it seems to be heavy on parts, and thin on actually describing how to do the servicing. Hydraulic oil too, is the dipstick for that under the seat? There looks to be some sort of dipstick type knob there too... Is it hard to change the hydraulic fluid? Maybe I've opened up a pandora's box with suddenly taking an interest in maintenance...

Tractor
    YM3810D Yanmar

Quote Originally Posted by IvarForkbeard View Post
    I'll try that next time I start her - so far she's started fine down to a few degrees below zero without me having to pull the rod.
    I really want to change the oil before I run her again though, after seeing how nasty and low it is. Any idea what filter I need? And how much oil I should have ready? And where the oil plug is?
    That is a good idea to get new oil in it especially with those temps any dilution and breakdown of the oil from the natural blow by of combustion will not be good on a real cold engine not good on any but cold cold is worse. I cant answer the fluid amounts but there are people here that can and will. You know about Hoye for parts right they ship all over the world?!

The engine oil plug should be straight under the engine on the pan (in the lowest spot is an indication) or plate depending on what you have. Mine has a flat plate with a plug at one end I drain from some have a pan some a plate.

That used oil will burn also so if you need btu's keep that in mind as a way to dispose of it. I know I would burn it in my stove with a rigged up dripper if I was living in a remote area like that. hth
    Yanmar YM3810D, LT duty 3pt hoe, 6' KK2 tiller, 6' KK box blade, 6 1/2' KK disc, 5' Howse bush hog, 5' Howse back blade, 9" Yellow PHD, 3 Husky chain saws 346XP NE, 359, 372XP. 07 HD Heritage Softail, Crack injectors, check compression, take 2 beers and call me. "Hey you didn't build that."

Tractor
    Yanmar 155D

Quote Originally Posted by kenmac View Post
    6.8 quarts of oil with filter....oil plug is underneath at the oil pan.. Hyd system is 5.8 gallons . If I haven't started mine in a while, I pull the de-comp. lever spin the engine over until the oil light goes out. push in de- comp. lever & start
    Ack! That's over six litres of oil - which I *just* added. Then I checked the dipstick and it was full to the collar!
    I guess I should have RTFM. Yanmar says two litres there... Time to pull the plug. I wonder if I can recover and save that oil... Stay tuned. Next I will likely look at either the fuel filter, the radiator, or the hydraulic oil...

Tractor
    Yanmar 155D

Okay, oil changed, and level is more sensible now. I was able to fit the empty oil jug under the drain plug and capture about three litres of oil that I can't see why I can't reuse next time.
    I also pulled out a bunch of old wiring and checked the idiot lights - one light looks to be wired just to the ignition, so I don't see the point. The other one goes to a sensor up on top of the engine. Would that be oil pressure or temperature?
    Anyway, next thing that I'm wondering about is the tachometer/hour meter - it just shakes between 0 and 500rpm. Any suggestions as to what I should do? I just wiggled the line a bit at both the meter end, as well as where it enters the engine at the front of the tractor, but it didn't make a difference.
    Thanks everyone for your help!

Tractor
    yanmar 3110D

Quote Originally Posted by IvarForkbeard View Post
    Ack! That's over six litres of oil - which I *just* added. Then I checked the dipstick and it was full to the collar!
    I guess I should have RTFM. Yanmar says two litres there... Time to pull the plug. I wonder if I can recover and save that oil... Stay tuned. Next I will likely look at either the fuel filter, the radiator, or the hydraulic oil...
    Sorry man, For some reason, I thought we were talking about a 336. Don't go by numbers on the hyd oil either
    A Fredricks Yanmar 3110D
    07 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins
    Husky 372xp
    Husky 55 Rancher
    Maruyama trimmer
    Husky trimmer
    Redmax BP blower
    Toro zero turn
    North Star 4 K PSI pressure washer
    Honda 300 4 trax
    Yamaha Timberwolf
    liquid logic coupe kayak
    16' Tow Master Dump Trailer ,20' Yanmar Hauler

Tractor
    Yanmar 155D

I checked the hydraulic oil dipstick (I assume that's what it is - under the seat?) and it was full, and very clean. Do I really need to change it? Is there a dipstick for the front? Is that a separate resevoir?

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Bobcat CT235

I believe most of the operator manuals for these Yanmars recommend changing the transmission/hydraulic fluid and cleaning the suction strainer every 300 hours. Only one dipstick for the transmission housing. Probably two drain plugs. One for the main transmission and one on the 4 wheel drive drop box.

Not sure what you mean by "the front". There is 90 weight oil in the front 4 wheel drive and I sort of think you have a screw in dipstick on top of the axle housing.

Tractor
    YM3810D Yanmar

The cable ends may be bad on the tack cable either at the tack or drive gear (doubtful its the drive gear btw) or just the cable itself just have to visually compare the cable to its mating component see how it fits. The tack itself obviously may be bad if the cable fits well at both ends. hth

Yes by all means reuse the new oil you drained out. I would sure mark it so later I remembered what it went for I have a bad memory so I automatically think like that.

As far as the hydraulic oil it will usually be nice and clean unless it gets water in and it will be milky/cloudy but that is no indication of how clean the filter is and unfortunately the whole hyd system has to be drained to replace or clean the filter so its either a complete service or nothing on the hyd system.
    Yanmar YM3810D, LT duty 3pt hoe, 6' KK2 tiller, 6' KK box blade, 6 1/2' KK disc, 5' Howse bush hog, 5' Howse back blade, 9" Yellow PHD, 3 Husky chain saws 346XP NE, 359, 372XP. 07 HD Heritage Softail, Crack injectors, check compression, take 2 beers and call me. "Hey you didn't build that."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12