Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 49
  1. #21
    Elite Member Car Doc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,246
    Location
    Kansas
    Tractor
    YM3810D Yanmar

    Default Re: Additives

    I am using ulsd which doesn't have much lube anyway and also my old engine was not designed for it either but I add gray bottle PS @ double strength at the tractor when topping it off fwtw.
    Yanmar YM3810D, LT duty 3pt hoe, 6' KK2 tiller, 6' KK box blade, 6 1/2' KK disc, 5' Howse bush hog, 5' Howse back blade, 9" Yellow PHD, 3 Husky chain saws 346XP NE, 359, 372XP. 07 HD Heritage Softail, Crack injectors, check compression, take 2 beers and call me. "Hey you didn't build that."

  2. #22
    Super Member California's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,404
    Location
    Sonoma County
    Tractor
    Yanmar YM240, YM186D, and another YM186D

    Default Re: Additives

    Quote Originally Posted by sdkubota View Post
    Winter Diesel is #1 diesel and essentially kerosene. It is a drier fuel so should have some lubricating additives added. In addition it contains less paraffin wax so your mileage/power/etc will not be nearly as good as #2 diesel. I would just purchase a winter additive and add it to your #2 diesel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Car Doc View Post
    I am using ulsd which doesn't have much lube anyway and also my old engine was not designed for it either but I add gray bottle PS @ double strength at the tractor when topping it off fwtw.
    Thanks, both. I use PowerService (gray) year round since I don't need an anti-gel in this climate. I assume this adds the needed lubricity. The main thing PS does is reduce fuel knock clanking. Also it lets the YM240 start with less drama and smoke - more like a warm engine - when the temperature is in the 40's. I'm sure it would start easily lower than that but I haven't needed to in the nine years I've owned it.

  3. #23
    Elite Member Car Doc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,246
    Location
    Kansas
    Tractor
    YM3810D Yanmar

    Default Re: Additives

    I am cautious about trusting "winter" additives as a do all for #2 fuel for this reason.... I have heard so many stories of trucks gelling up that suposedly had winter fuel it happens every year around here.

    I personally have had farm semis gel out on the hwy and that is no fun changing fuel filters in 20 degree weather on the side of the hwy and in all the other bad weather that comes with that. #1 and #2 mix is the only for sure way as long as its mixed right and at 5 gallons a fill affording #1 #2 mix for one of these Yanmars is no biggy jmho on that. my .002
    Yanmar YM3810D, LT duty 3pt hoe, 6' KK2 tiller, 6' KK box blade, 6 1/2' KK disc, 5' Howse bush hog, 5' Howse back blade, 9" Yellow PHD, 3 Husky chain saws 346XP NE, 359, 372XP. 07 HD Heritage Softail, Crack injectors, check compression, take 2 beers and call me. "Hey you didn't build that."

  4. #24
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    982
    Location
    Hartford, SD
    Tractor
    Kubota L3400F

    Default Re: Additives

    Quote Originally Posted by Car Doc View Post
    I am cautious about trusting "winter" additives as a do all for #2 fuel for this reason.... I have heard so many stories of trucks gelling up that suposedly had winter fuel it happens every year around here.

    I personally have had farm semis gel out on the hwy and that is no fun changing fuel filters in 20 degree weather on the side of the hwy and in all the other bad weather that comes with that. #1 and #2 mix is the only for sure way as long as its mixed right and at 5 gallons a fill affording #1 #2 mix for one of these Yanmars is no biggy jmho on that. my .002
    Don't blame you and I am also old school that is used to running #1 in the winter. I have cautiously asked around and everyone says the additives wrk and just burn #2. Since my life won't depend on my tractor not gelling and my tractor sits in a heated garage (40 degrees), I am trying it. The thought of not having 2 different fuel types appeals to me.

  5. #25
    Elite Member Car Doc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,246
    Location
    Kansas
    Tractor
    YM3810D Yanmar

    Default Re: Additives

    Yeah thats a good plan with it in the garage mine is inside also I dont do any more outside than absolutely necessary when its cold. I can only imagine the additives do work its probably where the fuel gets bought and what temp it was treated to at that location and how long it sits before the temps get lowered etc quite a lot of variables it seems like.
    Yanmar YM3810D, LT duty 3pt hoe, 6' KK2 tiller, 6' KK box blade, 6 1/2' KK disc, 5' Howse bush hog, 5' Howse back blade, 9" Yellow PHD, 3 Husky chain saws 346XP NE, 359, 372XP. 07 HD Heritage Softail, Crack injectors, check compression, take 2 beers and call me. "Hey you didn't build that."

  6. #26
    Super Member clemsonfor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    6,147
    Location
    Greenwood Co., SC
    Tractor
    Yanmar YM2000

    Default Re: Additives

    I keep meaning to do the math and add some 2 stroke at 300:1 but haven't yet. Even loggers around here have trouble starting stuff when it hits the teens. I assume not all places sell winter mix here in sc, cause each time we have a few cold days in a row I have a logger that has to change filters or either cant get something cranked. THe last hard winter we had a few years ago I had one that used 2 filters in a loader and killed the batts and still never got it going and just went home. THese guys either get fuel every day if they buy it at a station or they have huge thousand gallon tanks filled every month or two at the shop that they pull from, its not like they got caught with August's fuel in February!
    YM2000. MF dirt scoop,4' Jbar bushhog,boompole, LMC 12-16 disk harrow, 4' Atlas boxblade (with rippers). 1980 chevy K10,1990 ford ranger 2wd (285K miles),1997 saturn SL2 (twin cam!!),2001Toyota Higlander
    1986 Cobia 177 sunskiff w/1981 Johnson 60 hp
    1991 Javalen 17ft w/same year 150 Johnson GT
    Troybuilt 4 cycle & Echo 2 stroke,cold natured(need carb rebuild),MS390 Stihl, Northern tool pressure washer, mixes water into the oil in the pump(now dead, motor on a tiller). 5000 watt generator.

  7. #27
    Bronze Member redfarmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    71
    Location
    Southeastern PA
    Tractor
    case ih

    Default

    We run polar power in our #2 diesel and never had a problem and we get an occasional 0 degree weather.

  8. #28
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    982
    Location
    Hartford, SD
    Tractor
    Kubota L3400F

    Default Re: Additives

    Quote Originally Posted by clemsonfor View Post
    I keep meaning to do the math and add some 2 stroke at 300:1 but haven't yet. Even loggers around here have trouble starting stuff when it hits the teens. I assume not all places sell winter mix here in sc, cause each time we have a few cold days in a row I have a logger that has to change filters or either cant get something cranked. THe last hard winter we had a few years ago I had one that used 2 filters in a loader and killed the batts and still never got it going and just went home. THese guys either get fuel every day if they buy it at a station or they have huge thousand gallon tanks filled every month or two at the shop that they pull from, its not like they got caught with August's fuel in February!
    I add 2 stroke at 200:1 to my diesel. Make sure it meets TC-W3 specs.

    http://www.jatonkam35s.com/DeuceTech...itive_test.pdf

  9. #29
    Super Member clemsonfor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    6,147
    Location
    Greenwood Co., SC
    Tractor
    Yanmar YM2000

    Default Re: Additives

    Quote Originally Posted by sdkubota View Post
    I add 2 stroke at 200:1 to my diesel. Make sure it meets TC-W3 specs.

    http://www.jatonkam35s.com/DeuceTech...itive_test.pdf
    All I have is TCW3, except the tiny bit of chainsaw 2 stroke. I got 2 boats so I got the watercooled stuff by the gallons.
    YM2000. MF dirt scoop,4' Jbar bushhog,boompole, LMC 12-16 disk harrow, 4' Atlas boxblade (with rippers). 1980 chevy K10,1990 ford ranger 2wd (285K miles),1997 saturn SL2 (twin cam!!),2001Toyota Higlander
    1986 Cobia 177 sunskiff w/1981 Johnson 60 hp
    1991 Javalen 17ft w/same year 150 Johnson GT
    Troybuilt 4 cycle & Echo 2 stroke,cold natured(need carb rebuild),MS390 Stihl, Northern tool pressure washer, mixes water into the oil in the pump(now dead, motor on a tiller). 5000 watt generator.

  10. #30
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    422
    Tractor
    YM2000

    Default Re: Additives

    #7 Super Tech Outboard 2-Cycle Engine Oil. TC-W3 16oz. at Wally World. $2.43

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. fuel additives
    By jim442 in forum Kubota Owning/Operating
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-05-2010, 04:00 PM
  2. Battery Additives
    By zkurtb in forum Oil, Fuel & Lubricants
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-13-2009, 08:58 PM
  3. additives everywhere!
    By livincountry in forum Related Topics
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 07-17-2006, 04:21 PM
  4. oil additives
    By rb4410 in forum Oil, Fuel & Lubricants
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-05-2005, 12:26 PM
  5. Fuel additives
    By rja in forum Oil, Fuel & Lubricants
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-25-2002, 10:59 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2013 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.