Newbie Question? starting / running / shutting off

/ Newbie Question? starting / running / shutting off #1  

cam0148

Tractor
Cub Cadet EX3200
As a newbie to my own yanmar tractor I have a couple questions about starting / running / shutting off a diesel tractor.

I have a 1500d

1. Does the tractor need to warm up before I start to use it? (no glow plugs)

2. Is it OK to start a tractor then shut if off shortly after? (eg. 1 minute later

3. After running the tractor for a while should you let the enging idle at a low rpm for a while before shutting it off?

Thanks,

Jeff

/ Newbie Question? starting / running / shutting off #2  
Here's what I recommend and have read that you do.

<font color="blue">1. Does the tractor need to warm up before I start to use it? (no glow plugs)</font>

Yes, I always let mine warm a bit at a high idle at the first start of the day. I don't go overboard with it, because an engine will warm quicker when working than idling, just enough to ensure good air/fuel mixing.

<font color="blue">2. Is it OK to start a tractor then shut if off shortly after? (eg. 1 minute later)</font>

I've always been told that it's bad for a diesel engine, and a gas too I would think, to start it and shut it right back down especially if you do it a few times in succession. See the above quote, Once it's warmed I don't see any prob with shutting it down to hook up implements and such.

<font color="blue">3. After running the tractor for a while should you let the enging idle at a low rpm for a while before shutting it off?</font>

I don't know if it makes a huge difference and all my manual says is to pull the throttle all the way to low idle and shut off the engine, but I always let mine idle for several seconds before shutting it off. My lawn mower manual says to idle it for a short period before shutting it down.

/ Newbie Question? starting / running / shutting off #3  
You asked if you should let it idle for a while before shutting it down. Well, from all I have read on here, you should let it idle for a few minutes to let it cool down some, before you shut it off. That it does do it some harm if shut off without doing that. I only let it idle for two or three minutes, but then I have let it idle down while backing it into my garage to though, which makes for another couple of minutes or so.