removing / installing tractor tires

/ removing / installing tractor tires #1  

BC Dave

Silver Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM180D
y-ellow yanmarians :D

Removing / installing tractor tires; 180d with 2 leaking tires (tubes); rear 12.4X16 & ft 6x12

Im sure this has been asked; but is it easy?:confused2:; I have 3-17" tire irons I used to install motorcycle tires; second one was less of a struggle and windex helps.

Thoughts and suggestions to help speed this up would be appreciated.

Cheers BC dave

/ removing / installing tractor tires #2  
You'll find that breaking the beads and re-seating them will be the most difficult of the task, after breaking the bead they'll be like most any other tire to remove from the rim, as you know just be careful not to pinch the inner-tubes, I have a cheap tire changer, works good on most any wheels up to about 16" but my rear wheels are 24" so I have to change the tires out with tire irons just as you have, Though I can still use the bead breaker device from the tire changer to break the bead,;) If you dont have a bead breaker tool, You can try doing what I used to do.
If you have a trailer with a tongue jack and this will require the use of another jack to hold the trailer up,
Note the trailer should be heavy with a few hundred tongue weight pounds, or either load the front to make it heavier, line the tire/wheel under the foot of the trailer jack and start cranking down the jack on the sidewall of the tire trying to keep as close to the rim as possible, You may have to rotate the wheel a few times in order to break the bead away, Oh! did I meantion to be sure and let the air out before doing anything:D
and when re-installing the tire have a bottle of soap/water to squirt around the bead to help it slip into place,

here is a link to another thread in which another member started, he improvised by using his trailer, but in another way that worked....http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/trailers-transportation/176319-tire-bead-breaker.html

Attachments

• $(KGrHqJ,!hoE84i3Ui5WBPVQtp4mCQ~~60_1.jpg
    $(KGrHqJ,!hoE84i3Ui5WBPVQtp4mCQ~~60_1.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 259
Last edited:
   / removing / installing tractor tires #3  
i would just pay someone like i do. i pay $f for front repair and $15 to mount and replace rears. im cheap but not that cheap.

/ removing / installing tractor tires #4  
Ahh! clemsonfor... I agree if one can afford to pay someone else, I'm not cheap just independent:D... My son is a tire/battery/lube man at one of the local shops, He has changed out many tractors tires, he say's its a good workout on some of the larger ones but they do get paid well There for it, ;)

/ removing / installing tractor tires #5  
Ahh! clemsonfor... I agree if one can afford to pay someone else, I'm not cheap just independent:D... My son is a tire/battery/lube man at one of the local shops, He has changed out many tractors tires, he say's its a good workout on some of the larger ones but they do get paid well There for it, ;)

I just purchased 1 of these Tire Changer Car Truck Tire Machine Changers Wheel | eBay While it won't change the rears.. The bead breaker is nice

/ removing / installing tractor tires
Deep in dirt; thanks for the suggestions; I like the tounge jack idea; and hey that gave me the idea that I could use the bucket and a block of wood (but then again at that point I'd be missing a wheel ...hummm; ...dicy...).

Soap has been reported to help set the bead; but gets slippery again when wetted; windex dryes faster without a film; I think I used dish detergent & windex on a difficult bead and set it in a hot sunny window and used a hair dryer in the end.

Ya clemsonfor; Id pay 15 bucks; but it'll be 80 bucks around here (betting dollars to donuts) ... plus I have to take off; plus transport 50 kms; etc. So at that point I'd prefer to do it myself.

Other ideas appreciated; Im thinking I'll just install new intertubes.

/ removing / installing tractor tires #7  
Deep in dirt; thanks for the suggestions; I like the tounge jack idea; and hey that gave me the idea that I could use the bucket and a block of wood (but then again at that point I'd be missing a wheel ...hummm; ...dicy...).

Soap has been reported to help set the bead; but gets slippery again when wetted; windex dryes faster without a film; I think I used dish detergent & windex on a difficult bead and set it in a hot sunny window and used a hair dryer in the end.

Ya clemsonfor; Id pay 15 bucks; but it'll be 80 bucks around here (betting dollars to donuts) ... plus I have to take off; plus transport 50 kms; etc. So at that point I'd prefer to do it myself.

Other ideas appreciated; Im thinking I'll just install new intertubes.

MAn looks like i got a good deal!! I was filling my rears a few months back. Old tubes were dry and one actually leaked once i started filling. My neighbor works at the local shop that if i want something done or tires put on i use them. Had them order tubes and install. Think i paid $90 for the 2 tubes and for them to put them in the tire. I did however dismount put in my truck and deliver to the shop.

/ removing / installing tractor tires #8  
I am under the impression these tires are a challenge to do, why I dont know super stiff bead or side wall??? My tire shop did my new front tires and new tubes and they are not amateurs but they pinched 1 new tube twice.

They ended up giving me a another new tube since the pinch was in the same spot and ended up with more of a tear than a hole there so they figured out what they were doing wrong I guess.

fwtw I used to work in a gas station as a kid and changed lots of tires we used a soapy water solution of some kind and these wheels probably tend to rust so cleaning that up would help also.

/ removing / installing tractor tires #9  
<<snip> My tire shop did my new front tires and new tubes and they are not amateurs but they pinched 1 new tube twice.
<snip>
Glad to hear that.
I pinched a tube twice trying to put it in my front tire, said the heck with it and bought 2 new front tires.

/ removing / installing tractor tires #10  
im about to foam fill my front tires, I fix about 2-3flats a year. some repairs other have to be replaced at suggestion by tire guy. I think between the $7 tube and $5 fee it will be cheaper than fixing them all the time.