yanmar ym146

/ yanmar ym146 #1  

philcon

Tractor
yanmar 1614
hi everyone, i am new on here, i was advised to start a new thread, i will receive a better response, i purchased a yanmar 146 for $650.00. decent shape, just came with a snow plow, which is what i need. i noticed when it it 40 degrees, it turned into a hard starter. i have a male plug that comes out of the back attached next to the battery. it looks like it could be a trickle charger because two leads come out of it and goes the the battery. there are no other wires coming out of it. does anyone else have this setup, and if it is a trickle charger i could remove it and put in a larger, more cranking battery. also i was planning on putting on a block heater. being from buffalo, new york, it would help. also any special oil you use? our just normal deisel oil? i drove tractor trailer for years with hard starting deisels, we used starting fluid, any negative thoughts on that. also we used the compression release often. does everyone use that also.
thanks again
phil

/ yanmar ym146 #2  
Hello and welcome Philcon,
Not familiar with any factory equipt plug/pigtail for charging or any other purpose, It is probably an aftermarket add-on part, If the tractor is from the colder climate region's then yes it could well be some sort of warming device or charger, if you can post a picture I'm sure someone here can ID the device, as well as advice about the starting issue your having with your tractor,
BTW Good deal on the price :thumbsup:

/ yanmar ym146
it does seem to run good, no smoking exept starting, then clears up, hydro seems strong, looks like it can push snow without a problem. i had a wheelhorse gt 14 for 35 years for pushing snow. great machine, sunstrand hydro, had downpressure, still runs good but the hydro is starting to weaken. would push 15'' of wet snow. now i am hoping the yanmar will fill it's shoes.

/ yanmar ym146 #4  
Don't use starting fluid..If it was used in the past, that could be your problem. Does it start easy in warm weather?

/ yanmar ym146
Don't use starting fluid..If it was used in the past, that could be your problem. Does it start easy in warm weather?

i now agree, i was talking to one of our drivers, who used to work on small motors, and said they can't take the added compression that the starting fluid gives and can take out pistons, i don't know if it was used before, i dont think so because the intake hose looks like it has not be moved in a long time. any clue if using the compression release is ok?

/ yanmar ym146 #6  
I use mine at times. turn engine over until oil light goes out...push in and start

/ yanmar ym146
i don't believe i have glow plugs, i will look when i get home, seems the people that have them the tractors don't start any better

/ yanmar ym146
yes, i do have glow plugs, i see turning the key left i it was on for about 30 sec, also i took the battery out and i noticed the ground wire to the frame was not clean, cleaned it good, plus the battery, now it spins much better, and caught right away, thanks again guys