Removing the gear shift knob

/ Removing the gear shift knob #1  

Scotty Dive

Veteran Member
Tractor
Yanmar 2020D
Kind of sounds basic, but I am trying to remove the gear selecter knob so I can replace the gear boot. I put a pair of channel locks to unscrew the knob - but no luck. It is stuck on there...I am assuming the knob unscrews...but maybe its pressed on? I figured some light heat and some pb blaster might help but wondered if anyone knew for sure a way to get it off without busting up the knob itself?

/ Removing the gear shift knob #2  
Not sure how it comes off, But I can vision everyone going out to their tractors now to see if theirs screws off, Including me:D I'll be right back!

/ Removing the gear shift knob #3  
OK back! not sure about the knob on your tractor but the one on mine feels like solid rubber, When attempting to loosen it I can feel it slightly moving at the topside of the the knob but the bottom where it narrows down to the stick Is stuck:cool: I would guess it's snugly pushed on like the handle grips of a bicycle, if this is true to the case, the stick is most likely splined to prevent it from turning, You might try using an open end wrench that will fit around the stick just under the knob and tapping upward on the wrench to see if it move any.....

/ Removing the gear shift knob
Thanks Deepndirt.....I tried that but I can't seem to get enough ooomph to make it work. I think I can see a thread showing on the shaft but it could be just a grove - all I know is it does not want to move.

/ Removing the gear shift knob #5  
If you can see threads then it must be different than mine, I wouldn't try tapping it off as I earlier suggested, It must be the hard plastic knob, and if it's that stuck I really wouldn't know what kind of tool would take it off,
if you must remove it Ibelievee I would find a replacement to have on hand just in case it were to break,
I wonder if someone used an epoxy to hold it on? I know the throttle knob on my tractor was loose and I could never keep it tight, So I took it off and squirt epoxy in the hole and shoved it back on, Its never moved again;)

/ Removing the gear shift knob #6  
Wrap the knob with a really damp cloth to keep it from burning. Apply heat (Propane torch) to the shaft as close to the knob as you can without burning the cloth. After about 30 seconds, start working the knob with the channel locks until it turns, then pull straight up.
On my Kubota, there was enough adhesive left that I had to heat it again to put the knob back on, it's as solid now as it ever was.

Hope this helps

/ Removing the gear shift knob
Last night I squirted some PB blaster at the shaft and the beginning of the knob. And this morning I decided to get aggressive - after all its a shift knob on a 30+ year old tractor. Well the PB blaster must have made its way up in to the knob. The black rubber knob sits on a hard plastic knob attached to the shift shaft. I pulled and pulled with channel locks and finally got it off. No glue. The black knob is pressure fit over the hard plastic knob. anyway installed the new rubber shift boot and all is well. Thanks all

/ Removing the gear shift knob #8  
:thumbsup: age does effect everything in every form, With things becoming aged and rusty or stuck on, and us becoming older and weaker we all sometimes have to have an overnight rest and get a fresh start the next day:D I remember when my wife used to hand me a jar to open it's lid, Now I hand her a bag of patato-chips to open for me,:cool: