Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Platinum Member
    Tractor
    yanmar 336d w ldr,Cub,many attachments

Default Re: Winston1's ym2002d farming tactics

Winston, thats a nice looking row,straight or not....lucky for you that you can be out there already,i am in CT and we are at least 3 months away from any good gardening................................
    From Connecticut....we had -4 this morning !!!

Tractor
    Yanmar YM1500

My mother-in-law (now deceased) used to say that you could grow more on a crooked row. I'm not certain if that's so, but she always had a good garden. Seeing your fresh-plowed soil makes me want to get in the garden, but it's too wet here right now. By the way, I've had turnips, collards, broccoli, and kale in the garden since last fall. I just used the last of the collards and broccoli, but I still have plenty of turnips and kale.

Tractor
    Yanmar 187D

That's just wrong Winston. I'm trying to thaw frozen pipes and you're playing in your garden. Good luck with this batch, I think everyone in the Northeast is ready for spring.
    Yanmar 187D
    4 ft Woods rotary cutter
    TSC carry all
    Power angle plow/dozer blade

Tractor
    YM3810D Yanmar

Yeah he is really making the winter cabin fever even harder for me too with all that gardening stuff lucky devil.

14 here yesterday morning thank God I am not thawing pipes (yet) but the winter isn't even close to over here either and February is our worst month normally yuk!
    Yanmar YM3810D, LT duty 3pt hoe, 6' KK2 tiller, 6' KK box blade, 6 1/2' KK disc, 5' Howse bush hog, 5' Howse back blade, 9" Yellow PHD, 3 Husky chain saws 346XP NE, 359, 372XP. 07 HD Heritage Softail, Crack injectors, check compression, take 2 beers and call me. "Hey you didn't build that."

Elite Member
    Tractor
    yanmar 2002d

Quick update on my farming tactics. Here is a picture of my English peas and one of my radishes (now harvesting them). My two rows of onions are in that picture too but difficult to see. They are just sort of sitting there, don't know why. Last two nights have been right around 30-31 degrees. Suppose to get maybe 28 degrees tonight. Warming trend after tonight. Still waiting on my potatoes to come up. I replanted turnips again, beats me what I am doing wrong not getting any to come up? Dug down to one of my potatoe slips, the stem was getting close to the top of the ground, I expect them to start showing this next week. We will see.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -100_5900-jpg   -100_5903-jpg  
    Last edited by winston1; 03-03-2013 at 10:31 AM.

Tractor
    YM3810D Yanmar

I am amazed how the climate changes just from my area to yours Winston nice garden btw! We are just now seeing seed potatoes and onions in stores fwtw we traditionally try and plant them on St Pats almost 2 weeks away yet.

I am wishing I had disc'd last instead of tilled last fall or here recently when I had a chance because I still have 6-8" of snow sitting on my garden from our one and only snow of the winter. This moisture could have gotten a bit deeper sooner had I disc'd perfect hind sight. I am doubting right now I can even get in there with my tractor in 2 weeks now but time will tell.
    Last edited by Car Doc; 03-04-2013 at 02:05 PM.
    Yanmar YM3810D, LT duty 3pt hoe, 6' KK2 tiller, 6' KK box blade, 6 1/2' KK disc, 5' Howse bush hog, 5' Howse back blade, 9" Yellow PHD, 3 Husky chain saws 346XP NE, 359, 372XP. 07 HD Heritage Softail, Crack injectors, check compression, take 2 beers and call me. "Hey you didn't build that."

Tractor
    Yanmar YM2000

We have had so much rain in my area if you take your tractor off the gravel or pavement your going to leave ruts and dents from the tire treads that wount work out till mid summer!!

Im not complaining we need the rain, our lake was 15ish feet low and has come up 5 feet in the last few months! I have no loggers working anywhere but in the sand.
    YM2000. MF dirt scoop,4' Jbar bushhog,boompole, LMC 12-16 disk harrow, 4' Atlas boxblade (with rippers). 1980 chevy K10,1990 ford ranger 2wd (285K miles),1997 saturn SL2 (twin cam!!),2001Toyota Higlander
    1986 Cobia 177 sunskiff w/1981 Johnson 60 hp
    1991 Javalen 17ft w/same year 150 Johnson GT
    Troybuilt 4 cycle & Echo 2 stroke,cold natured(need carb rebuild),MS390 Stihl, Northern tool pressure washer, mixes water into the oil in the pump(now dead, motor on a tiller). 5000 watt generator.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    International Harvester 284, Yanmar 1401D, Yanmar 240, and others...many others...

I have kept checking on this thread with interest. I started to plow a garden plot yesterday, but somehow managed to break the shank of my new-to-me rollover plow. I'm rather bummed, but am grateful I don't need the garden to survive. I'm also kind of shocked I broke the shank: It is a massive old Massey plow, and the bottom is mounted on a 3" wide piece of 3/4" steel.

Tractor
    Yanmar 187D

Once again, I'm jealous. We were just beginning to talk about peas and onions here in southeastern PA, and now they're calling for our first major winter storm of the season this week. It will be a few more weeks before we get going up here. Some people plant peas March 15th, I like to do potatoes on Good Friday, but we'll see...
    Yanmar 187D
    4 ft Woods rotary cutter
    TSC carry all
    Power angle plow/dozer blade

Tractor
    YM3810D Yanmar

I am going to scale down the garden this year only planting corn, green beans,tomatoes and a few hot chile peppers. I got the watering all configured last year on timers. It took me a few years but I finally got enough of them to do all of it. So this summer the wife and I can spend more time on the Harley and less time wagging hoses back and forth.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast