Winston1's ym2002d farming tactics

/ Winston1's ym2002d farming tactics #61  
the lake here was around 15 foot low in November. With a near record wet Feb, and rains in Jan we have gotten enough rain to fill the lake back up to within 5ft of full. I would not have thought it went up 10 feet but I know it went up a good 8! I think the first 2 feet before the feb rains that I guess brought it up the other 8ft?

/ Winston1's ym2002d farming tactics
Here is an update on my garden. 1st picture is onions, turnip greens, way in the back some spinach. Onions finally taking off. We have been eating turnip greens and plenty more available.

2nd picture is 4 rows of English peas. They are pretty much in full bloom although I don't think the picture shows that.

3rd picture is 2 rows of potatoes that had a couple of freezing nights a week or so back. it killed the leaves back on most of them but as you can see they are bouncing back.

Last picture is 4 rows of 100_5911.jpg100_5912.jpg100_5913.jpg100_5914.jpgcorn and I don't have a very good stand on that. All the seed was old and 3 different varieties. I think I'm going to just replant between the sprouted ones.

Didn't take any pictures but further down I planted watermelons, squash, and cucumbers. I have a fair stand of squash and cucumbers but the watermelons are sparse. I'll be doing a little re seeding there also. We have had good rain so far this spring, hope they continue.

/ Winston1's ym2002d farming tactics #63  
Go Winston Go I am pulling for ya get lots of rain its looking great! :thumbsup:

I am going nuts not being able to get started in mine but its real close I might be in there tomorrow? I think I am taking the tractor home tonite or in the morning anyway I need to burn my burn pile and burn my old tomato vines off the fence. The county likes it when there is a tractor with a bucket handy when someone burns makes me feel better too.

New pictures of the garden for those facing boredom. :D English peas are done and gone, wife put up quite a few packages plus we have been eating them. Great success with potatoes, onions, spinach, turnip greens and green beans. Tomatoes beginning to come on since cool snap. I have had some kind of insect (gnat looking) on my watermelons, squash, cucumbers, peas, and corn. Not sure they are going to pull out of it. I sprayed them twice with something from the feed store with negative results. I sprayed them yesterday with a malathon solution I had left from years ago.

Attachments

• 100_6107.jpg
    100_6107.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 141
  • 100_6109.jpg
    100_6109.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 158
  • 100_6110.jpg
    100_6110.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 108
  • 100_6111.jpg
    100_6111.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 119
   / Winston1's ym2002d farming tactics #65  
I ahve set out 16 tomatoes and have 8 more to transplant. I had 13 sprouted zukes the other night when i looked a row of pole beans about 14ft long or so with a plant almost every 6"s. planted about 8 green bellpepper plants last night from seed. Hve about 6 squash that i planted that night as well and about 4 canteloupes also i planted from seed. Will put a few watermellons in, since its getting into the 80s i should plant a few okra plants as well. I just been busy and all and even though i had garden plowed for a month or so i have not much in it.

/ Winston1's ym2002d farming tactics #66  
Yeah Winston I see the corn looks stressed if it got cold that could be it but the beans look good so far dont know what those bugs could be or what damage they could do though?

I got in mine 3 wks or so ago by sheer luck and got 16 rows corn and 2 rows of beans in. Then it froze and snowed several times since kept the ground cold and they took till last week to poke out. I also finally got some straight 13 broadcast in the rows also on one of the not so cold days.

It turned nice finally and we are getting rain its an awesome but late spring so far. I have 3-5 leaves on corn now its in the 2-4" tall range and beans are coming up nice. The only other things I plan on is super chilli's (very hot) a couple of them and 24 tomatoes.

Did you use to have a rops on that tractor??? I though you did.

Clemsonfor, I was just browsing back over this thread and saw your question about the rops. I don't know how I missed it when you first posted it. No, I never have had a rops. Bought my tractor through a vn dealer that didn't install them. Truth is, I probably would have it in a down position if I had one. I do a lot of mowing under trees with low branches. Also, very little work on inclines.

/ Winston1's ym2002d farming tactics #68  
I guess i thought you had one? I too, as you probably have heard me say have a vn tractor, i did get the vn ROPS. Is it the high dollar one that hoye sells, no, is it straight....NO, do i think it will do its job..yes? I think i paid another $200 for it, and sometimes think was it worth it? It gives me more weight!! But it catches on every darn thing!!

/ Winston1's ym2002d farming tactics #69  
I'm sure am glad I passed on ROP's. UTDA 600.00$ Yep! The only place that is on any type of Grade is up at the Rd. which is a State Hwy. And it's such of one the County can't even mow it all. They only cut as far as the Bat wing will hang down from the Rd.:rolleyes: Even if I lowered them were I'm using the BH it would be troublesome I'd just about have to Remove them it's so thick. But if it was on our WV. property now that would be a whole different story so to speak.

/ Winston1's ym2002d farming tactics #70  
I read this whole post, very cool, learned a lot. We have 3 small plots that we've gardened for years but it's nice to see that if we want to do it on a larger scale my tractor is up to the task. Thanks, now I need a 3 pt. tiller!