Yanmar YM186 Power steering problem

/ Yanmar YM186 Power steering problem #1  

mnoonan

I have a YM186 power steering unit that only wants to steer to the left. Has anyone had this problem before and what would be the cause?
By the way, this is not on a Yanmar tractor, it is on a custom garden tractor project.
Thanks,
Mike

/ Yanmar YM186 Power steering problem #2  
Any Pics. of it. Is the Steering shaft extended all the way forward or back ?? Usually should be in the center Forward R. Backward L.Etc.. Just A Guess

/ Yanmar YM186 Power steering problem #4  
Wow, I did not know that power steering was an option when these were sold. I just went through the 1981 printed 186/d manual, and can find no info on power steering.

/ Yanmar YM186 Power steering problem #5  
I have a YM186 power steering unit that only wants to steer to the left. Has anyone had this problem before and what would be the cause?
By the way, this is not on a Yanmar tractor, it is on a custom garden tractor project.
Thanks,
Mike

Any findings on your problem?

/ Yanmar YM186 Power steering problem
Winston1,
No findings just yet. The shuttle valve "Driver Assy" pulls out (to turn left) much easier than trying to push in (to turn right). I plan to take the whole unit to a hyd. shop to take apart and see what's wrong. It will turn to the right by exerting more force on the shuttle valve. In my earlier question, I was hoping to hear if anyone else had this problem and how they fixed it. I have attached a picture of my installation. Do you have any recommended place to get parts? Thank you, Mike. PC181053.jpg

Last edited:
   / Yanmar YM186 Power steering problem #7  
looks like a flat head ford......r u working on a old ford v8 conversion ?

/ Yanmar YM186 Power steering problem #8  
Strange looking ym186 :laughing:

/ Yanmar YM186 Power steering problem #9  
No recommendations for parts. I'm thinking a good hydraulic shop may have access to any seal parts you might need. Since this was sold on American sold Yanmars you could contact Yanmar dealers but I am doubting they still sell these parts. Keep us informed what you find out. Got more pictures of your project?

/ Yanmar YM186 Power steering problem