Positive ground on ym2000?

/ Positive ground on ym2000? #11  
Positive ground was common on British cars and some American brands. Maybe early Ford? I think it was considered technically superior because while a spark plug can have only one center, insulated electrode that erodes rapidly, a Positive Ground system can use spark plugs that erode multiple side electrodes instead of the center one. So they last longer before the spark gap is too great. Ok that's something I was told 50 years ago. Anybody have better information?

/ Positive ground on ym2000?
I know that alot of the older tractors and cars did have a pos ground on it was the reason I was asking. I am thinking the old 2n for tractor had pos ground. Found out why it was hooked up with pos ground, the battery had to be placed with terminals to the front of the tractor and the cable was not long enough to reach, so they hooked up how they could get it to hook up. But the unusual thing is it appears that the starter does not care what you use for ground, it spins the same direction either way. I think the lights do not work because I found the fuse block and all fuses are blown. I gave 1400 for it with no equipment so I hope I did not get burnt, but I have to still fix the left brake, left wheel seal, diff lock, and grease the front bearings and tighten (they are loose, but not binding). I know I have read that people say these little yanmars knock hard, but to me is sounds like a lawn mower. but of course i also need a new muffler it is half rotted. Thanks to everbody for the great information and all of the help

Was fixin to take lift cover off to take a look to see what wad going on witn thanks for the info it gives me something else to look at

/ Positive ground on ym2000? #15  
This Positive ground talk had me curious, so I looked it up on Google, and found that yes there was a positive ground system
used on the Old 6-volt systems,.. in fact a positive ground systems has been dated to back in the 1920's..... which explains why I never heard of it:cool: I ain't that old:D

quite common on older tractors.. vw bugs.. etc.. ;)

just not real common on newer machines...

/ Positive ground on ym2000? #16  
Positive ground was common on British cars and some American brands. Maybe early Ford? I think it was considered technically superior because while a spark plug can have only one center, insulated electrode that erodes rapidly, a Positive Ground system can use spark plugs that erode multiple side electrodes instead of the center one. So they last longer before the spark gap is too great. Ok that's something I was told 50 years ago. Anybody have better information?

i believe thermionic emission will be a good reason given for positive ground.

( edison effect )

soundguy

/ Positive ground on ym2000? #17  
I've had my Yanmar 2000 since around 2000, and have put about 3 batteries in it, have never seen or used the positive ground, just put a new ground wire for the battery to the frame. 12 volt system, negative ground.

/ Positive ground on ym2000? #18  
wow.. that's alot of batteries in 12 years...

that is alot of batteries, the one I am recharging is from 2009 and would still start it strong till I left the key on.

/ Positive ground on ym2000? #20  
i think it was Caterpillar that had some + ground systems also.