Yanmar FX 335-hard to start and sounds like it's missing at low rpm.

/ Yanmar FX 335-hard to start and sounds like it's missing at low rpm. #41  
Here is the invoice. Cardoc, maybe your are right and they sleeved the engine because the price on the first item listed as a sleeve is a good bit less that any of the cylinder liners listed on Hoyes sight. I have asked TDP to check his parts manual to see if it has liners but I think he is gone right now.

No valve stem seals listed of course that doesn't confirm they weren't installed. The parts manual does confirm the fx335 uses valve seals. Maybe they were bought by the machine shop and just included in their price? Hard to imagine anybody not putting new seals on them.

Attachments

• fx335 invoice.jpg
    fx335 invoice.jpg
    988.8 KB · Views: 498
   / Yanmar FX 335-hard to start and sounds like it's missing at low rpm. #42  
Ouch thats painful bottom line even to me just looking at it. Yeah those are press in sleeves more than likely. Like I said I cant comment on current prices but I seem to remember they were costing me 30-40 bucks back then fwtw so that price is not a huge concern not yet.

The 36 hours seems a bit much for a 4 cyl engine with very little tin etc to have to take off etc and $8xx machine shop labor is quite a lot no more than it is itemized or not leaves a lot to the imagination imho. I personally itemize and want every invoice to me done that way simply because I know may make a mistake either under or over charge it happens its a lot easier to say this this and this cost that added up and if not know what to do about it.

The $59 an hour is reasonable (I am @70 fwtw) but I find it a little hard to believe the cyls were wiped out with dirt and the pistons survived that I find odd hummm? (I can see the cyls being worn out from lots of hours of normal wear and tear the pistons would be likely worn also but he had low hours thats the red herring and there in lies the mystery) I have other opinions on some parts that were replaced since I didn't see the old parts I will reserve them possibly for another post. (I also put old parts in a box for the customer to inspect fwtw just keeps us honest in their minds) I am also kind of curious how the clutch was??? It must have been pretty darn good even the T/O brg at the minimum could have been replaced by a conscientious mechanic or they should have called and ok'd that to be installed it was only parts at that point....edit: this is presuming this was a bench overhaul not inframe as the cost would indicate sleeves have to be bored in with the crank out fwtw...

I just hope they can adjust it properly or whatever needs done and get it running properly so you can get some use out of it Tracy so good luck.

(oh and Winston yes it is hard to imagine valve seals were not installed I agree and guess what my engine didn't have any either and just been overhauled when I had to repl the HG and mill the head grind the valves etc @ 95 hrs. roll eyes)

Last edited:
   / Yanmar FX 335-hard to start and sounds like it's missing at low rpm. #43  
Wow, thats a heavy price on the Dello 400. I pay 12 bucks a gallon at Wallyworld.

/ Yanmar FX 335-hard to start and sounds like it's missing at low rpm. #44  
I don't see on the invoice where they did any work to the head. It only list machine work on head. They may only milled the head surface . Head gasket,as needed. Why would they list head gasket as needed. I would hope they installed a new 1

Last edited:
   / Yanmar FX 335-hard to start and sounds like it's missing at low rpm. #45  
Ernie, does your tractor still have a little smoke? And did the smoke get less with hours?

Winston, Yes it smokes less the more I use it, specially after it warms up, but its still annoying.

/ Yanmar FX 335-hard to start and sounds like it's missing at low rpm.
After running my tractor for 7-8 hrs it is about halfway down on the dipstick. I called the place that rebuilt the engine and they want me to run it some more before I top it off. He said he has seen tractors use oil until they reach a certain point. Have any of you had this same problem before or heard of it? Im a little concerned about doing this. I guess Ill have to wait until the weekend to see if the oil continues to disappear. LOL I have looked and there is no oil on the ground and I dont see any on the engine. They did a valve job on it and replaced the valve seals also replaced the sleeves and installed new pistons.

/ Yanmar FX 335-hard to start and sounds like it's missing at low rpm. #47  
Not trying to correct TDP, just wanted to make it clear the cylinders have machine shop sleeves and not Yanmar cylinder liners. I have to wonder why pistons aren't included on the invoice. Rings and sleeves are. I'm thinking those pistons would be over $100 apiece. Just going by some similiar pistons on Hoyes sight.

/ Yanmar FX 335-hard to start and sounds like it's missing at low rpm. #48  
As far as it using oil thats normal and expected some do some dont after re-ring etc it usually tapers off pretty quick so dont worry about until its got 75-100 hrs if its still using it at the same rate possibly always will but that isn't something we cant live with just an annoyance. If it runs right thats what matters.

Valve seals are 20-30 bucks I can see missing it on a ticket but pistons that one stretches my imagination just a little like I said before. The book keeper would have my you know what if it didn't get charged out yikes.

As far as the oil level keep it topped off there is only so much oil in the engine it needs every drop. ;)

/ Yanmar FX 335-hard to start and sounds like it's missing at low rpm. #49  
I just added up the parts on the ticket and came up with within a dollar or so of their addition for parts total (i cant read some items very well the air cleaner for one) so that leaves no question that if pistons were installed they didn't get charged out in materials fwtw.

/ Yanmar FX 335-hard to start and sounds like it's missing at low rpm. #50  
Seen a brief note that this tractor has a turbocharger......if it does my I suggest that it could have bad seals and this is the cause of the oil burning and smoke.