Yanmar FX 335-hard to start and sounds like it's missing at low rpm.

/ Yanmar FX 335-hard to start and sounds like it's missing at low rpm. #1  

TDP

Tractor
Yanmar Fx 335
I have A Yanmar Fx335 tractor. I recently had the motor rebuilt and all new injectors. When I got it back it smoked like a freight train. I took it back to have it worked on and they removed the washers from under the injectors and change the timming. It still smokes more than it should but it's a lot better. When it's cold outside it's real hard to start. The light for the glow plugs lights up so I assume they are working. I didn't have this problem last winter. Also at low rpm's it sounds like it's missing. The rebuild cost almost $5000. I was told that my tractor is a true gray market tractor. They said working on this tractor is unlike any other tractor. They said timming it is from back to front instead of front to back. If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate.

/ Yanmar FX 335-hard to start and sounds like it's missing at low rpm. #2  
I don't know what your problem is but since your my neighbor I would like to know where you got this work done so I might avoid them. May not want to share it on here but if not maybe you could pm me.

What color is your smoke? How many hours on it since overhaul? You could expect a little smoke right after overhaul but not after quite a few hours of run time. I am assuming back to front timing is just saying #1 cylinder is in the back. Doesn't seem relevant to a problem for any mechanic. Did they have a manual for the tractor or just playing it by ear? Will conclude by saying for $5000 they should get this thing in order.

I read my post and I am getting a little to harsh a little to early. I apologize for my ramblings. Color of smoke could tell us a lot. Whether it is fuel related or blow by related.

Last edited:
   / Yanmar FX 335-hard to start and sounds like it's missing at low rpm. #3  
Welcome to the forum! :thumbsup:

My suggestion is take it back until they get it right or get a real diesel expert! Your comment on them removing washers to change the timing makes my hair stand on end! What was the timing before and what did they change it too and what is the reasoning did they just make a mistake and then corrected it or simply dont know what they did or why??? (typical hacks)

fwtw Fuel could be causing the smoke and hard start was it smoking before? What was the circumstances that made you believe it needed overhauled? We really need more info but in all likely hood it simply needs more than you can do by yourself sorry but that is probably close to truth as I can get. good luck

It should have been right when they sent it out the door! fyi There is only one proper setting for the timing period and the fact they told you that tells me they are hacks sorry but thats the fact. I personally found on forums that giving technical advice on engines and tune up to the average guy is a lost cause it often involves special tools etc the average guy doesn't have available to him thats why I say get an expert. my .002

/ Yanmar FX 335-hard to start and sounds like it's missing at low rpm.
Hi! It looks to me to be white smoke. After it warms up some of it goes away. He told me when I picked it up this last time that he wasn't happy with it but he didn't know what else to do. I purchased manuals online but they are the wrong ones for the tractor I have. The shop I took it to said they wish they had the manuals, they are the ones that told me it was a true graymarket tractor. Do you know someone that works on Yanmar tractor's? I'm new to this so when I figure out how to send you a private message Ill let you know who they are. I really don't want to say anything about them I just think they are not familiar with this tractor. All I know is I'm upset and I don't feel like I got what I paid for. Thanks for your help!

I bought the tractor from big Reds. I had it three months and it started smoking. I took it to the shop to have it checked out and they said that the inner nut that holds the filtered on was missing which caused it to suck up dirt and destroyed it. This was my first tractor and I never even checked the air filter because it wasn't due yet. I bought this tractor like this and big red's would do nothing to help me. So I would be careful in dealing with them.

The shop told me they took out some washers from underneath the injectors, recheck their timming marks, and change the timing. I don't know what any of this means. I do know that it knocks and is louder than previous. After it warms up some of it goes away.

I have less than 100 hours on the rebuilt engine. If you know of anyone that I could take it to or any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

/ Yanmar FX 335-hard to start and sounds like it's missing at low rpm. #6  
If I'm not mistaken, Those copper washers need to be under the injectors. White smoke Sounds like too much fuel or water

Last edited:
   / Yanmar FX 335-hard to start and sounds like it's missing at low rpm. #7  
To send a private message just click on my name. Did you try Hoyes for a repair manual? I'm thinking the FX335 is a newer model grey market tractor and not sure just what manuals are available. Probably a generic one.

For what it is worth. http://www.dieselsmoke.com.au/

/ Yanmar FX 335-hard to start and sounds like it's missing at low rpm. #8  
Just me thinking out loud but unless you ran it in a dust storm every day or really really crappy conditions like tilling huge gardens etc- I have my doubts you would have destroyed it or even damaged it in 100 hrs. My .002 on that sounds like it had problems when you bought it and didn't know it like I did.

The 5 grand is so far out of reality for a simple little 3 cyl diesel engine rebuild I just cant wrap my mind around it so I feel for ya on that they need to do some explaining and making it right. I would love to see their itemized invoice bet a lawyer would too for a small fee.

edit: Oh and these engines are knockers some worse than others just to let you know that is not a for sure sign of a problem in itself. But granted I believe a lot of what you are possibly hearing could well be associated with your particular situation??

The other thing is the washers and please understand I am not aware of how your pump is set up etc but om the YM's for instance there are shims under the pump that adjust the timing by moving the pump away or closer to the cam. Taking washers out of an injector doesn't change anything with timing as far as I can determine using my common sense.

Last edited:
Car Doc, I believe your 100% right that the tractor had problems when I bought it and it was my first. I didnt know anything such as check crank case vent. It had so much blow by is why they said it needed a new engine. I wish it was a weed eater, chainsaw, or some type of small engine because I can fix them. I found part of the reason it wouldn't start today. Loose ground- I guess it was to hard for them to tighten the bolt. I wish there was somewhere I could take it and get a second opinion. I wanted it to last me the rest of my life. LOL!

/ Yanmar FX 335-hard to start and sounds like it's missing at low rpm. #10  
If you have a temp gun ($30 at harbor freight) check the temperature of each cylinder's exhaust ports. A low temp would narrow the problem to that cylinder and troubleshoot from there. If you don't have a temp gun, a less scientific method is to spritz on water and it'll evaporate on the good cylinder exhaust ports.

Also, check fluids for signs of the oil/coolant mixing. Is there oil under your radiator cap? Is the level on the oil dipstick increasing?