1500 loses power when hot

/ 1500 loses power when hot #1  

mjdupre

Tractor
Yanmar 1500 (Red)
I have a 1500 that starts like a champ but once it gets hot it loses power.
I suspected the head gasket, coolant looks really dirty shortly after I changed it though I don't see any coolant in the oil.
Assume that a quick compression test on it may shed some light, though the fact that it starts easy leads me to believe that the compression is fine.

Anyone have any idea what sort of compression these should have?
How do you go about checking the compression on a diesel ????? (no seriously how ??)

/ 1500 loses power when hot #2  
I have a 1500 that starts like a champ but once it gets hot it loses power.
I suspected the head gasket, coolant looks really dirty shortly after I changed it though I don't see any coolant in the oil.
Assume that a quick compression test on it may shed some light, though the fact that it starts easy leads me to believe that the compression is fine.

Anyone have any idea what sort of compression these should have?
How do you go about checking the compression on a diesel ????? (no seriously how ??)

Hot as in temp light on hot?? Doubt you have a comp. problem as, you state it starts right up. To check comp. you have to pull injectors. Hoye sells a test kit

/ 1500 loses power when hot #3  
Crank it cool with the radiator cap off and watch for bubbles in the radiator. Bubbles will indicate a bad head gasket. Is your level in your overflow bottle staying the same? Starting right up is a good indication there is nothing wrong with your compression.

/ 1500 loses power when hot #5  
:thumbsup:
how old is your fuel filter?
No mention of any loss of Antifreeze. A bad HG. you usally have a Loss of Antifreeze.Out the Exhaust or in the oil. If no loss of Antifreeze and your not pressuring up the Radiator. No mention of that is why I agree with Clemsonfor. Whats up by the way!!!!;)

/ 1500 loses power when hot #6  
We don't know if he has antifreeze loss or not, so not knowing that is why I just thinking filter maybe??
Bad filter will cause loss of power.
Been doing good, busy here with work. Staying warm in this cool snap?

/ 1500 loses power when hot #7  
Staying warm in this cool snap?[/QUOTE]
Have to. Still about like Sunlight to a Vampire.:confused2:

/ 1500 loses power when hot #8  
Well, he hasn't been back so, I guess it's not too important

/ 1500 loses power when hot
I'm back!
Haven't had time to look at it but used it this weekend and same problem.
Fuel filter is fairly new.
I noticed that the coolant in the overflow is very black, the oil look good so I don't suspect oil in the coolant.

I'm thinking it's exhaust in the coolant due to a blown HG. I'll check for bubbles in the radiator next time I'm there.
Tractor is at a summer home 375 miles away so can't look at it too easily.

Thanks for all the replies.