Yanmar, converting fixed speed Yanmar to variable speed.

/ Yanmar, converting fixed speed Yanmar to variable speed. #1  

90cummins

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 1720 SSS 4x4 Turbo Charged
I found a small fixed speed 3 cylinder Yanmar Thermo-king diesel that has no throttle lever for speed adjustment. I would like to change it to variable speed by replacing the injection pump. Not much information available from engine tags.
Does anyone know what is required? Perhaps just a new injection pump with a throttle lever?
Numbers on block are K6K29977
Valve cover
TK3.74
K29977
Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks 90Cummins

/ Yanmar, converting fixed speed Yanmar to variable speed. #2  
I have a Hatz diesel with fixed throttle and wanted to change it to variable. I was told that all I needed was to change the governor spring (from a Hatz representative).

Wonder if that's all you need for your Yanmar??

/ Yanmar, converting fixed speed Yanmar to variable speed. #3  
I found a small fixed speed 3 cylinder Yanmar Thermo-king diesel that has no throttle lever for speed adjustment.

Positive ?, reason I ask is that all the TK 3.74 that I've worked on had a lever for speed control and a separate fuel shut-off solenoid.

Like this pic from a TK manual.... yours not the same ?

Attachments

• TK3.74.jpg
    TK3.74.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 2,962
   / Yanmar, converting fixed speed Yanmar to variable speed. #4  
What type of flywheel does the engine have? Is it adaptable to a clutch, or does it have an oddball flywheel with a fixed coupling to drive the compressor?

/ Yanmar, converting fixed speed Yanmar to variable speed.
I've only seen the engine in photos, it doesn't have any levers on the injection pump but there is a closure plate where the lever would be.
The flywheel end has a PTO shaft with pulleys on it so I can't see the flywheel.
The owner said it is fixed speed with no adjustments.
I would think (hope) it could be changed with little effort/cost with parts on e-bay.
90cummins

/ Yanmar, converting fixed speed Yanmar to variable speed. #6  
Well somethings up then cause if it was indeed on TK refrigeration unit it WOULD have a high/low speed lever.

See if you can find out the model unit it came from and I'll dig up a manual.

/ Yanmar, converting fixed speed Yanmar to variable speed. #7  
Can anybody help find the HP and torque rating on this engine. Also is it similar to any other non thermo king yanmar engine. Thanks

/ Yanmar, converting fixed speed Yanmar to variable speed. #8  
Looks like its only 12.6 HP? Why is this so heavy?

/ Yanmar, converting fixed speed Yanmar to variable speed. #9  
The HP rating is likely at a lower rpm than L&G engines. Once you figure out the throttle/governor issue and raise the speed the HP will also go up.

Sorry, can't help with the speed issue.

Try this guy: Sheaffer's Town & Country Tractor. He's very knowledgeable and has great parts contacts.

/ Yanmar, converting fixed speed Yanmar to variable speed. #10  

Attachments

• TK3.74.jpg
    TK3.74.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 2,757
  • yanmar motors 3tn66 332 and 430 engine specs.jpg
    yanmar motors 3tn66 332 and 430 engine specs.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 1,250