Power Beyond vs Series for loader valve?

/ Power Beyond vs Series for loader valve? #81  
California, I'm a little late on seeing this, but am glad that you are up and running again. As you stated, this thread has a lot of information for future reference.

I am in the process of rebuilding a loader (old Kubota Model 1200) for my YM1500D. I have fabricated a new triangular return plate that will replace a blank/cover plate on the upper right side of the transmission housing to serve as a tank return from my loader control valve. I had consulted with Mr. JJ quite a while back (before starting my tractor refurb project) (here) and settled on using the PB feature to power the 3PH and have a dedicated return to the reservoir. My research also showed that some folks had no issues with loader valves plumbed in series, while others did have problems.

I will try to get some pictures up for reference in the next day or so.

Last edited:
   / Power Beyond vs Series for loader valve? #82  
California, here are my plans for the dedicated tank return from the loader control valve (I believe that I may have the same loader valve as you (without running out to the shed to verify) with a very similar mount).

As described in the previous post, I fabricated a new triangular plate to replace an existing cover plate on the right side of the transmission (above the axle/brake housing). This was cut from a piece of scrap 3/8" steel plate using a cutting wheel on a 4 1/2" angle grinder. The center of the plate was drilled and tapped to 3/8" NPT as I plan to install the 3/8" NPT 90-degree elbow as shown in the pictures. My intentions are for the tank return hose to run from the control valve, under the right step and banded to the original hydraulic tubing, to the return fitting in the transmission.

Pictures 1 & 2 - location on the transmission/cover plate to be replaced (there is also another one of these on the left side of the transmision if needed for an alternate return)
Picture 3 - new plate fitted
Picture 4 - new plate next to original cover plate
Pictures 5 through 8 - completed adapter plate

I had thought about drilling and tapping the original cover plate (off of the tractor), but decided not to as it was thin aluminum.

I hope that this may spark some other ideas as it was my intention to have a clean install while also keeping the operating area as clear and neat as possible.

Attachments

• 11-12-26-14.JPG
    11-12-26-14.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 138
  • 2013-02-06-4.JPG
    2013-02-06-4.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 125
  • 12-03-08-1.JPG
    12-03-08-1.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 132
  • 2012-03-17-1.JPG
    2012-03-17-1.JPG
    172.4 KB · Views: 110
  • 2012-03-17-7.JPG
    2012-03-17-7.JPG
    162.2 KB · Views: 106
  • 2013-02-06-1.JPG
    2013-02-06-1.JPG
    139.3 KB · Views: 98
  • 2013-02-06-2.JPG
    2013-02-06-2.JPG
    150.1 KB · Views: 93
  • 2013-02-06-3.JPG
    2013-02-06-3.JPG
    126 KB · Views: 115
   / Power Beyond vs Series for loader valve? #83  
Nice job with nice pictures. Just curious, what is behind that plate? Bound to be there for a reason.

/ Power Beyond vs Series for loader valve? #84  
Nice write up and great job and yes clean is the only way to do anything, definitely waiting on the followup! :thumbsup:

/ Power Beyond vs Series for loader valve?
You do nice work! The whole tractor is going to be like new.

That is a great addition to the thread, showing the proper way to do a tank return. Somebody will find this description useful in the future.

What is behind the plate? Is that simply an opening for some optional component that was not used on this model?

/ Power Beyond vs Series for loader valve? #86  
There is nothing behind the cover. I assume that it was for optional equipment or an alternate arrangement. There is a 'shoulder' or round opening that has a diameter about the size of the extended round part of the original cover plate (shown in picture 4 above) and the thickness of the transmission housing. After that, it is open to the upper part of the transmission housing. These two plates on opposite sides of the transmission remind me of those near the bottom that hold the hydraulic screen.

The update will be a while as I am sandblasting the loader with a small 20 lb pressure blaster from HFT. It works well, but takes a while with a small home set-up.

My wife and mother-in-law have jokingly asked if this was going to be a working tractor or a pretty tractor. They know that I am not looking forward to the first scratch!

/ Power Beyond vs Series for loader valve? #87  
The little Yanmar looks GREAT ! :thumbsup:

/ Power Beyond vs Series for loader valve? #88  
Folks, I have enjoyed reading this thread a lot. I don't know much about hydraulics, but I enjoy listening to those who do. If I can go back to this comment on page 1:

Brian the stacking, doubling, of pressure makes sense. But I think it also means that the doubling can be avoided by never having the 3-point under pressure in its Lift position while using the loader valve.

It seems to me that if one had, for example, a ballast box, or a box blade that rode on the three-point even when it was not being used, then one would regularly be using the loader while the 3-point was under pressure in its lift position. But folks on the thread are talking as if that's an unusual situation. In the interest of my own education, am I missing something, and if so, what? Perhaps it's this: that "under pressure" refers only to actually moving the 3-point up, not just resting it in the up position?

/ Power Beyond vs Series for loader valve?
... "under pressure" refers only to actually moving the 3-point up, not just resting it in the up position?
Yes, exactly. The lift handle routes fluid to the hydraulic lift cylinder in Lift position, but after that you move the lever forward slightly to Hold position This seals the passage so fluid can't escape back out of the hydraulic cylinder, and the lift stays up.

At the same time, when the handle is in Hold or Drop position, the full output of the pump goes right through that 3-point control (no back pressure) and drains back to the transmission sump.

/ Power Beyond vs Series for loader valve? #90  
Yes, exactly. The lift handle routes fluid to the hydraulic lift cylinder in Lift position, but after that you move the lever forward slightly to Hold position This seals the passage so fluid can't escape back out of the hydraulic cylinder, and the lift stays up.

At the same time, when the handle is in Hold or Drop position, the full output of the pump goes right through that 3-point control (no back pressure) and drains back to the transmission sump.

I must comment on this. :D I recently puts a new o-ring seal on my lift piston. It will now stay up indefinitely when sitting in the up position with a load on it. I have actually left the lift up for days watching it. However, when the tractor is in use with the load in the up position it will very slowly descend and after a small descent it will raise back up that small amount. Saying all that to say I would have back pressure at that time. I am assuming there is a little leak by in the lift valve. I really don't know why it does it when running, yet, won't do it when sitting. Just know it does. :D