yanmar engine oil pump failure

/ yanmar engine oil pump failure #1  

captain71c

Tractor
Yanmar 2310D
Has anybody had a complete failure of the engine oil pump? I just disassembled the engine on my YM2310D and found the pump in two pieces. No warning just a sudden loss of pressure. The drive gear and outer pump ring had fallen forward when the pump case split. No other sign of damage

. oil pump.JPG

/ yanmar engine oil pump failure #3  
Was the old oil pump aluminum? Many of the GMTs have aluminum pumps, as did some of the early U.S. models such as the YM186 and YM276. When you get a new pump it will probably be all steel.

/ yanmar engine oil pump failure
It was aluminum. Closer inspection today it looks like it has been cracked for a long time. It has some uneven wear on one side of the backing plate and on one side of the rotor and smooth areas where the crack has rubbed back and forth. It looks just like the photos in the link winston1 sent. Parts should be here tomorrow.

/ yanmar engine oil pump failure #5  
Glad that you did not run it till it was knowking and ground the bearings out of it!

/ yanmar engine oil pump failure
Parts arrived today. Pump is installed, engine is back together and running, no abnormal noise. It had oil pressure before it started. It would appear I was lucky and caught it in time.

/ yanmar engine oil pump failure #8  
have zennoh ym 200 tractor seems to have same problem possible oil pump failure-is there a recall on this?

/ yanmar engine oil pump failure #10  
have zennoh ym 200 tractor seems to have same problem possible oil pump failure-is there a recall on this?

YM2000 manufactured 1975-1977. I doubt a recall is going to happen.