Bush hog for YM 1500D

/ Bush hog for YM 1500D #1  

rjfoster

Tractor
LS G3033H
I am looking at buying a bush hog for my YM 1500D. Had a few questions as to what I should be looking for. I want a 4 foot bush hog, but see right handed vs left handed PTO. Which PTO works with this tractor? Are there any other specifics that I should look for?

Thanks for any information that can be provided.

/ Bush hog for YM 1500D #2  
The PTO on you'er 1500 should turn the correct way. You can check it by putting it in gear. If it turns clockwise you'er ok. I haven't heard of any 1500's that turn counter clockwise. If you don;t have 1, you'll need an over run clutch

/ Bush hog for YM 1500D #3  
You want the normal one, I am not sure which way that is, but its standard rotation , not the reverse rotation like some of the older Mitsu or Kubotas can be.I believe the pto shaft spins clockwise but I have not paid enough attention??

/ Bush hog for YM 1500D #4  
Reverse rotation is extremely rare. It's something to watch out for if you buy an old implement from a private party but otherwise you'll never see it. It was on the first, smallest Kubota imported here (B6000?) then they switched over to industry standard. I think on Satoh also. And I think it uses a smaller pto shaft, so you can recognize the difference from standard 1 3/8" shaft size if you ever see an implement with it.

As for your YM1500D, one reason Yanmars are popular is because they are compatible with US implements.

You are going to need a couple hundred pounds ballast on the front bumper (or a loader) when you lift that mower.

/ Bush hog for YM 1500D #5  
Kubota Tractor Just seen that model. No mention of it being Rev.PTO. Any Who this what watch out for.

/ Bush hog for YM 1500D #6  
Kubota Tractor Just seen that model. No mention of it being Rev.PTO. Any Who this what watch out for.
Yep. Tractordata.

I rented one like that in 1976 to cut terraces into a too-steep urban back yard. Then the next weekend, continuing with the project, I got the similar tiny Yanmar because the Kubota was already rented out to someone else. Both fit through my garden gate ok. To my surprise I liked the 2wd Yanmar better. It seemed to pull a scraper box or push the loader into dirt piles just as well, and was overall easier to operate. Both seemed tough enough to survive the abuse that rental equipment endures.

Last edited:
   / Bush hog for YM 1500D
The PTO on you'er 1500 should turn the correct way. You can check it by putting it in gear. If it turns clockwise you'er ok. I haven't heard of any 1500's that turn counter clockwise. If you don;t have 1, you'll need an over run clutch

I don't have an over run clutch, so I will get one of those too.

/ Bush hog for YM 1500D
Thanks for the information; I will look into the ballast aspect as well.

/ Bush hog for YM 1500D #9  
The over running clutch is a definite safety must. I agree with the advisement that some front ballast will be a necessity, too.

/ Bush hog for YM 1500D #10  
a 42" xb series or a 44/48" hog on that tractor will be nice.