YM2020D new tires hard to release 4wd

/ YM2020D new tires hard to release 4wd #1  

Normmm

Gold Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM2020D Satoh Beaver III Yanmar 1500
Just installed new set of tires from Hoye. before disengaging 4wd was easy release now it takes some extra pressure to move the leaver. I have tried changing the air pressure in the tires with some fair to poor results. currently change from forward to reverse will get pressure off. Any ideas

/ YM2020D new tires hard to release 4wd #2  
You're doing the right thing. Some pressure may be needed even in new tractors. The difference in circumference of the tires IIRC is ~5%, and when the difference exceeds that it may put pressure on the drive shaft. Just don't drive on road when in 4WD.

/ YM2020D new tires hard to release 4wd #3  
Did you get the same size tires?

/ YM2020D new tires hard to release 4wd #4  
Try turning the front wheels rt or left while its still moving just at the point you want to move the 4wd lever. Mine does that also there is really no problem its just the ft/rr bias that has to be there so the fronts can turn w/o binding. They need to run a bit faster than the rears so I think what you have is normal albeit different than it was. hth

/ YM2020D new tires hard to release 4wd #5  
I really don't have much to add to this because I have no experience with shifting from 4wd to 2wd on my 2020 on the original rice tires - I changed them out almost immediately after I bought my tractor - I bought the rims from Hoye but had to source my tires locally because at the time Hoye could not get tires. I tend to keep my tractor in 4wd at all times due to my property - hills, grass, and snow. However, I do agree, its hard to shift from 2wd to 4wd and I have to put the gear in neutral and the powershift in neutral to do it.

Original Rice Tires -
Front 6-14
Rear - 9-24
Turf Tires - Carlisle R-3's
Front 24 X 8.50 x 14
Rear 13.6-16

/ YM2020D new tires hard to release 4wd #6  
If it's really bound up - drive backward in a zig zag pattern while tugging on the lever. That's from an old Jeep owner's manual.

/ YM2020D new tires hard to release 4wd
Thanks. Several things I had not thought about. I did buy the same size tire from Hoye who said they were as close as one can get now that the original tires are no longer available. Only thing abou5t the R1 tires that are not as good as the rice tires is that in my heavy red clay soul the R1's load yp with mud and spin.