YM2220D - leaking fluid from top of the steering column

/ YM2220D - leaking fluid from top of the steering column #1  

slcfreddy

Tractor
Yanmar YM2220D
Just purchased my "new to me" tractor a couple of days ago. I was hauling a few things around and fluid started leaking from the top of the steering column. This model has the factory power steering. I am pretty mechanically inclined but I'm not sure what this could be. Any suggestions?

/ YM2220D - leaking fluid from top of the steering column #2  
Wow, this sure caught my attention. I have that same steering on my YM2002D. Often wondered what would happen if something went wrong with it because I have never seen a parts breakdown or parts listed for the unit. Often wondered if I would have to try and find a manual steering unit for it. My parts manual shows both a manual unit and a power unit but no breakdown of the inner parts. The lower gearbox housing actually looks like the manual gearbox but then has an upper cap assembly containing the power parts. I'm not sure the upper column couldn't be replaced with a manual column. Just rattling here but am going to try and post pictures of both for you. I googled the part number for a complete "manual" assembly and got a hit of a rebuilt one for about $550. Only shows it to fit through the 2010. Again, just rattling. if it were me, I would tear into it and see just what could be done. Any pictures of your progress would be appreciated.

Attachments

• scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    314.6 KB · Views: 397
  • scan0003.jpg
    scan0003.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 381
  • scan0004.jpg
    scan0004.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 535
   / YM2220D - leaking fluid from top of the steering column #3  
I had the same prob. on a old K.L2800 I was using to clear my Property to build my house . Fluid would Squirt Out!! It just came from the shop and I need it. Guilty of a ghetto rig but it worked!!! All I did was take the Rubber bushing out of a 1/4" PVC. freeze plug!! Run the Shaft throuh the Hole in the Middle and then in the Tube with one of the washers. Worked like a champ! It was owned by a good buddy of mine who offerd to sell it Cheap! which I declined. back to shop it went and that was the last I ever seen of it!!!:laughing:

/ YM2220D - leaking fluid from top of the steering column
Steering column bottom view.jpgSteering column top view.jpgSteering column base.jpg
Started tearing apart the steering column tonight and took the attached pictures. The storage column bushing and steering bushing both seem to be shot, going to replace them and see where it gets me. If anyone else has suggestions please let me know.

/ YM2220D - leaking fluid from top of the steering column #5  
Watching with great interest but no suggestions for you. :confused3:

Did some more work this week, not much but a little progress and now I am stuck. I removed the steering shaft and according to a local guy who repairs Yanmars, the housing should be able to slide off, giving me access to the seals and o-rings. What I found isn't anything like that.

20130329_195421.jpg20130329_195434.jpg

It doesn't show up in these pictures, but the cap you see there seems to be threaded and screwed down. I expected to see some sort of snap or 'c' ring or something that made sense, but I can't figure this out. Since I can't find a schematic that matches what I am seeing I have no idea what is under there or how it is held together. I tried to drive the housing off the shaft with a big hammer and a crowbar but nothing budged and I am worried about going at it too hard for fear of breaking something important, or even worse pulling the whole thing out and all of the troubles associated with that. If that cap does screw down is it for setting some sort of pre-load that I will ruin if I take it off? Does any of this make sense? If anyone has a clue about how to pull this apart I would really appreciate it if you could chime in here.

/ YM2220D - leaking fluid from top of the steering column #7  
if it were me I would try to tap the colar, it looks like it is ment to screw in/out. the whole thing looks pretty dirty and could use a good cleaning.

Or you could try putting in an O ring and gasket. which appear to be missing from your first pics. put those in and see if you still have a leak.

keep us posted.

Took off the collar and the cap this morning, both were screwed in and finely threaded so it took a bit of work with the hammer and chisel but eventually they both came out. It appears that both pieces are fitted for a special tool to make removal less hard on the components, but since I don't have that tool they look a little rough. Here is what I found:

Power Steering housing - interior view.jpgPS Cap and ring - bottom.jpgPS Cap and ring - top.jpgPS Housing - Exterior.jpgPS housing - Underside.jpgPS worm gear.jpg20130330_095817.jpg20130330_105545.jpg

Finally got to all of the seals and rings. The seal in the cap is pretty torn up, which makes sense since that is where the leak was coming from. Now I just need to find a replacement for what looks like a fairly specialized piece of rubber and I am good to go. Going to hit Hoye up with a picture and see if they have anything that will fit and will also check the local hydraulic and repair shops. If anyone has a suggestion for other places I can look for a replacement I would appreciate it. Also planning to replace the o-rings, drain and flush the hydraulic system and pressure wash the whole thing once I get it put back together. Baby steps. :)

Attachments

• 20130330_095606.jpg
    20130330_095606.jpg
    505.3 KB · Views: 276
  • 20130330_095627.jpg
    20130330_095627.jpg
    428.3 KB · Views: 300
  • 20130330_095735.jpg
    20130330_095735.jpg
    468.1 KB · Views: 280
   / YM2220D - leaking fluid from top of the steering column #9  
If anyone has a suggestion for other places I can look for a replacement I would appreciate it.
Just a shot in the dark; might help:

When I went looking for parts for the steering box on my YM186D I found that the basic box had been widely used on Japanese cars of the 1970's, and Kubota as well. For example someone restoring a 240Z or something like that was also inquiring for the same bearings I needed, and his photo showed that the exterior markings on the box matched mine.

But then the only replacement parts available were as quantity 1000 listed on Alibaba (China wholesale manufacturer listings). Subsequently some of the internal components showed up on Ebay marketed for Kubota, automobiles, etc.

So you might go to a Japanese auto repair shop and see if they recognize your steering box, and can source parts for you.

/ YM2220D - leaking fluid from top of the steering column #10