Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Tractor
    CCY SX3100

Default Re: Once in a lifetime........

Can we play a guessing game???
    How about he was working to close to an excavator and as the excavator was swinging around the excavator lost hold of the rock and bammmm thats all she wrote.

Tractor
    Yanmar YM240, YM186D, and another YM186D

This is a real simple case where you file a claim against the insurance of the party who tossed the boulder. The amount of the claim is the loss in value of your tractor. If you use it for income then add the lost income while you arrange a replacement.

Your own homeowner insurance may represent you in this, and may even pay you first while they go after the other party if you have excellent insurance.

You are owed a tractor with an undamaged ROPS and with undamaged attachment points. 'Value' would be the depreciated value of your present unit at the moment before it was hit. If this came from Fredericks then there are comparables out there to determine value.

You might chose to take cash and patch together your present tractor but I doubt that is cost-effective after the cost of competent repairs.

I would like to hear which brand of ROPS. Was it attached to the axle as well as bolted around the PTO?

I hope you weren't on the tractor when the boulder arrived!

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    john deere

1500-1800 # rock glanced off the fender and dented it ???? Iwould really like to hear the rest of this story ?

Tractor
    yanmar 186D....JD LT180....DR Brush Cutter

Quote Originally Posted by kevin37b View Post
    1500-1800 # rock glanced off the fender and dented it ???? Iwould really like to hear the rest of this story ?
    Me too.....and I agree with Calif......the other guy's insurance should get you an equivalent tractor!
    I Intend to Live Forever.....So Far....So Good!

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
    Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Tractor
    Kubotas: L3240GST B2320HST B5100D & G5200H

Quote Originally Posted by stormpetrel View Post

<snip>

AFTER tearing the R.O.P.S. right out of the transmission case, leaving four holes.

<snip>

(
    Did it tear the threads (or threaded inserts) out of the casting, or did it tear out chunks of casting with the bolts?
    Just trying to determine if a repair could be achieved by using repair (oversized or twinsert) threaded inserts, a replacement ROPS & fender, or if the tranny case is trashed beyond all hope, in which case I think it would look like a total loss, at least from the insurance companys' perspective.
    That's the problem with trouble.
    It always starts out as such fun."
    - Randall Brown

Tractor
    ym2210D

OK, in order, as I remember.
    I was on the property, and have excellent insurance.
    The R.I. coast got hit pretty hard, but the beaches are fine.
    The holes are pretty big, no inserts remain.
    Virtually all the rock's energy went into the R.O.P.S. , it just clipped the fender on the way to the ground. Otherwise, it's just too painful to re-live the incident; I just want to focus on how to fix the problem. Insurance will likely pay....but HOW to fix the machine?

I do not think the tranny case is a goner, but I am not qualified to say that for certain. I thought welding the bar directly to the tranny case, covering/filling the holes, would be a fast and competent fix. The transmission is not pressurized at all right? So it's just a question of the respective metal's ability to be joined safely. Is that about the size of it?

Tractor
    Yanmar YM240, YM186D, and another YM186D

Quote Originally Posted by stormpetrel View Post
    HOW to fix the machine?
    Replace the transmission case. That is such a major component that I expect it means replace the tractor.

But take time to get over this first, before deciding anything.

Everybody. lets back off on the questions.

Georgia - Mt. Vernon by The Store just 5 miles east and right by the big oak tree then to the creek.

Quote Originally Posted by BuilderML View Post
    Can we play a guessing game???
    How about he was working to close to an excavator and as the excavator was swinging around the excavator lost hold of the rock and bammmm thats all she wrote.
    Maybe, but I think it was either a Meteor or his ROPS was bumped by an Alien space craft at warp speed 007 - I'm pretty sure I'm right...and he just is hesitant to say...
    Bob

WORRYING does not take away tomorrow's TROUBLES, it takes away today's PEACE.

NH - TC-29 , FEL, Bush hog, Bush hog brand finishing mower, Post hole digger, 6' Back blade, sub-soiler, Pallet forks, 20KW PTO Generator , 21 hp Murray Mower
    JD -3020 with FEL and a 16 HP. K-Grow Lawn Tractor (bought from K Mart 1994) and runs great !
    Clark 130 EN Mig Welder

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Bobcat CT225

Quote Originally Posted by murphy1244 View Post
    Were you at home when this happened? If not your homeowners will not cover you.
    More fundamentally, it should be the insurance of whomever threw the rock that gets the claim!

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Bobcat CT225

Quote Originally Posted by California View Post
    This is a real simple case where you file a claim against the insurance of the party who tossed the boulder. The amount of the claim is the loss in value of your tractor. If you use it for income then add the lost income while you arrange a replacement.
    What's the loss in value here, realistically? I've seen cars totaled for less serious things than this seems to be. Catastrophic damage to the attachment point of the ROPS and the body? I'm skeptical that the manufacturer has a repair procedure for that, just for liability reasons. But I'm no fabricator... maybe it's an easy fix.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast