Once in a lifetime........

/ Once in a lifetime........ #11  
Can we play a guessing game???
How about he was working to close to an excavator and as the excavator was swinging around the excavator lost hold of the rock and bammmm thats all she wrote.:stirthepot:

/ Once in a lifetime........ #12  
This is a real simple case where you file a claim against the insurance of the party who tossed the boulder. The amount of the claim is the loss in value of your tractor. If you use it for income then add the lost income while you arrange a replacement.

Your own homeowner insurance may represent you in this, and may even pay you first while they go after the other party if you have excellent insurance.

You are owed a tractor with an undamaged ROPS and with undamaged attachment points. 'Value' would be the depreciated value of your present unit at the moment before it was hit. If this came from Fredericks then there are comparables out there to determine value.

You might chose to take cash and patch together your present tractor but I doubt that is cost-effective after the cost of competent repairs.

I would like to hear which brand of ROPS. Was it attached to the axle as well as bolted around the PTO?

I hope you weren't on the tractor when the boulder arrived!

/ Once in a lifetime........ #13  
1500-1800 # rock glanced off the fender and dented it ???? Iwould really like to hear the rest of this story ?

/ Once in a lifetime........ #14  
1500-1800 # rock glanced off the fender and dented it ???? Iwould really like to hear the rest of this story ?

Me too.....and I agree with Calif......the other guy's insurance should get you an equivalent tractor!

/ Once in a lifetime........ #15  
<snip>

AFTER tearing the R.O.P.S. right out of the transmission case, leaving four holes.

<snip>

(

Did it tear the threads (or threaded inserts) out of the casting, or did it tear out chunks of casting with the bolts?
Just trying to determine if a repair could be achieved by using repair (oversized or twinsert) threaded inserts, a replacement ROPS & fender, or if the tranny case is trashed beyond all hope, in which case I think it would look like a total loss, at least from the insurance companys' perspective.

/ Once in a lifetime........
OK, in order, as I remember.
I was on the property, and have excellent insurance.
The R.I. coast got hit pretty hard, but the beaches are fine.
The holes are pretty big, no inserts remain.
Virtually all the rock's energy went into the R.O.P.S. , it just clipped the fender on the way to the ground. Otherwise, it's just too painful to re-live the incident; I just want to focus on how to fix the problem. Insurance will likely pay....but HOW to fix the machine?

I do not think the tranny case is a goner, but I am not qualified to say that for certain. I thought welding the bar directly to the tranny case, covering/filling the holes, would be a fast and competent fix. The transmission is not pressurized at all right? So it's just a question of the respective metal's ability to be joined safely. Is that about the size of it?

/ Once in a lifetime........ #17  
HOW to fix the machine?
Replace the transmission case. That is such a major component that I expect it means replace the tractor.

But take time to get over this first, before deciding anything.

Everybody. lets back off on the questions.

/ Once in a lifetime........ #18  
Can we play a guessing game???
How about he was working to close to an excavator and as the excavator was swinging around the excavator lost hold of the rock and bammmm thats all she wrote.:stirthepot:

Maybe, but I think it was either a Meteor or his ROPS was bumped by an Alien space craft at warp speed 007 - I'm pretty sure I'm right...and he just is hesitant to say...:confused3:

/ Once in a lifetime........ #20  
This is a real simple case where you file a claim against the insurance of the party who tossed the boulder. The amount of the claim is the loss in value of your tractor. If you use it for income then add the lost income while you arrange a replacement.

What's the loss in value here, realistically? I've seen cars totaled for less serious things than this seems to be. Catastrophic damage to the attachment point of the ROPS and the body? I'm skeptical that the manufacturer has a repair procedure for that, just for liability reasons. But I'm no fabricator... maybe it's an easy fix.