Once in a lifetime........

/ Once in a lifetime........ #21  
You might just send a note to your tractor manufacturer and ask them for advice.

I guess I'm a bit surprised to hear that the ROPS was ripped off with a single incident, and didn't take half the tractor with it.

You could tell the manufacturer that your next call will be to OSHA for a complete safety review of the ROPS design.

/ Once in a lifetime........ #22  
I would not even consider "fixing" it. Consider that the Rops are designed to protect you in the event of a roll over and are very beefy in design and construction. It would be my thought that if the force was large enough to rip the rops right off of your tractor, I would assume that you probably have more damage than you think.

If there was another party involved, you need to contact them and have them produce insurance. If they refuse, you need to talk to your own insurance. Since you are short on the details, there is really not much advise we can provide in your situation other than my advice above on your rops repair.

I am glad no one was hurt considering the event.

/ Once in a lifetime........ #23  
I would not accept a welded together casting as a reasonable repair job if my tractor was broken. While I would absolutely do it myself if I had broken the machine, I wouldn't be satisfied with that as a proper or professional job. I would get the housing replaced, which, as California mentioned, realistically means getting a new tractor.

/ Once in a lifetime........ #25  
I'm with everyone else. File an insurance claim your ins co or the person responsible for the damage. I wouldn't feel safe that the ROPS would provide protection for me if a repairof this type was made.If insurance wouldn't pay .I would be more inclined to use the tractor without ROPS than use the tractor with a repair such as this with ROPS

/ Once in a lifetime........ #26  
I am glad nobody was injured physically the tractor parts can be replaced arguably. I will have a repair opinion when I see some pics but for now it sounds like a new to you used tranny case is the repair that will get it back to where it was pre-boulder. good luck

/ Once in a lifetime........ #27  
Should I ask what the transmission case is made out of?

Cast Iron?

Is it possible to do a repair that would actually be better than original?

I just don't like the idea that anything took the ROPS off of the tractor without taking half the tractor with it.

I was looking at my little Ford 1715, and I'm convinced that if I lost the ROPS, either there would be major damage to the ROPS, or my tractor would not drive away from it.

RopsToAxle.jpg RopsToAxleFront.jpg RopsToFenderSupport.jpg FendersToRearHydraulics.jpg

The Ford ROPS wraps 3/4 the way around the axle, with 2 bolts in front.
Then it bolts to the fender support which connects to the top of the rear hydraulics.

Anyway, some photos of the tractor in question might be nice, but I would probably take some heavy, high quality steel and wrap it around something solid like around the axles or even around the entire transmission.

If you are planning on reinstalling the old ROPS, you will need to inspect it very closely for any bent members, as well as inspecting every weld for cracks. Perhaps even removing the paint from the corners.

/ Once in a lifetime........ #28  
It looks like from the OP sig that he has a YM2210D. Fredricks has some good ROPs info on their site and I think they are the source for most of the Yanmar ROPs. http://fredricksequipment.com/storage/rops-manuals/Family 4.pdf
I just recently purchased one from them for my YM2210BD. The installation manual for their ROPs has a good picture of the rear of the trans and the PTO cover plate. From the description it sounds like it just pulled the threads out of the bolt holes and if so it would be a matter of "only" replacing the rear trans/PTO cover plate and whatever was damaged of the axle mount fasteners. A quality cast iron weld and remachine could be done to repair the cover but it probably cost more than a replacement cover. Attempting to weld cast iron to mild steel....not a good idea IMO.

Steve

/ Once in a lifetime........ #29  
Ok,
In that diagram, it should have been connected, 4 bolts to the back of the PTO housing, and half of one u-bolt around the axle.

It looks like it should be easy enough to replace that one cover, if that is it, and one can actually find the part. Although, are these bolts just into the cover, or into something deeper?

Which direction did the rock hit? Front to back, or side to side? I assume the ROPS aren't designed for high speed dragging forward which would be similar to whacking it from the front.

I still would be pretty dismayed to find the ROPS torn off of the tractor.

/ Once in a lifetime........ #30  
What a story. Are you just needing the pto cover? Part number 194310-24350. I'm not clear on just what holes are torn out?