Once in a lifetime........

/ Once in a lifetime........ #1  

stormpetrel

Gold Member
Tractor
ym2210D
My R.O.P.S. was struck by a flying 1500-1800 lb. rock (don't ask, it's a long story involving other people and equipment) which glanced off the fender and dented it. AFTER tearing the R.O.P.S. right out of the transmission case, leaving four holes. This happened days ago, and has taken all this time to sink in. (The rollover bar itself doesn't seem to have bent or been damaged!!)

The question I have now is.....what the heck do I do? Can I have the transmission case welded and tapped for the bolts? Can I have the holes welded, then simply weld the entire R.O.P.S. right back on? I have never even heard of such a thing happening before, it's completely out of the range of my experience. I don't really care to talk about the how and why of the accident, it's too fresh and painful....I just wanna get the problem taken care of.

Otherwise, the tractor has run like a top, it's done everything I've ever asked it to do. It's payed for itself ten times over since I bought it 2 & 1/2 years ago. I couldn't be any happier with it. I really do hope this was a once in a lifetime experience!:eek::(

/ Once in a lifetime........ #2  
Is insurance an option here? If it was an accident not caused by me I would try to get myself a "new" one from fredericks via the responsible parties insurance. Your tractor is now "un safe" without a ROPS - at least that would be my argument with the insurance co. I will let the others chime in on how to repair those holes....I would think you need someone who specializes in that kind of repair. This is a life saving device and not just a broken piece of metal that needs to be welded back in place. I have heard that heli coils can add strength to a stripped out hole. Will be interested in this discussion.

/ Once in a lifetime........ #3  
Pictures of the damage? I assume that your ROPS bolts in in the back of the transmission vs to the axles.
Welding will not work well as welding cast is dicy at best unless working in ideal conditions.
Does the person who hit it have insurance that would cover the bill for a new transmission and ROPS? I would not re-use the ROPS as you dont know for sure that it is still sound and you don't want to find out the hard way that it isn't.

Aaron Z

/ Once in a lifetime........ #4  
Scotty good point on insurance, when i called my agent to make sure my unit was covered after i purchased it. They told me its covered under my homeowners policy. Doesn't hurt to ask?
Stormpetrel quick question for you. Hows the RI coast looking i would stay right by the point judith break wall on vaca. Is it worth it to vaca or did the coast get beat up to bad during sandy?

/ Once in a lifetime........ #5  
Scotty good point on insurance, when i called my agent to make sure my unit was covered after i purchased it. They told me its covered under my homeowners policy. Doesn't hurt to ask?
Stormpetrel quick question for you. Hows the RI coast looking i would stay right by the point judith break wall on vaca. Is it worth it to vaca or did the coast get beat up to bad during sandy?

Were you at home when this happened? If not your homeowners will not cover you.

/ Once in a lifetime........ #6  
Agree with the previous posts. You need it fixed PROPERLY. A compromised ROPS would void the purpose of having it in the first place. Glad to hear that asteroid missed YOU !

/ Once in a lifetime........ #7  
Were you at home when this happened? If not your homeowners will not cover you.

Can you explain why? What happens when a tree falls on your house or shed when you are at work or vacation? I know my homeowners covers my tractor while its on my property..I have never heard that I need to be on the property at the time

/ Once in a lifetime........ #8  
Can you explain why? What happens when a tree falls on your house or shed when you are at work or vacation? I know my homeowners covers my tractor while its on my property..I have never heard that I need to be on the property at the time

I think he means was the tractor on his home property.

To the OP, how can you NOT tell a story of flying 1500lb rocks!?!? The world wants to know!

/ Once in a lifetime........ #9  
murphy1244, i am sure he was at home when this happened,;) or atleast find a 1500lb rock in his yard and say thats the one !!:muttering:

/ Once in a lifetime........ #10  

Scotty you might owe my a new keyboard as mine is now damp with sticky pop.