Opinions on price for a Yanmar 186D

/ Opinions on price for a Yanmar 186D #1  

sbuchan

Tractor
Yanmar 186D
Hi Guys,
I'm thinking about buying a 1983 Yanmar 186D 18 HP diesel tractor to work on my small farm. This one has a rebuilt engine with about 100 hours on it, a loader, scraper box and rock rake. The seller is willing to drive 400 miles round trip to deliver it to my land, which is important because I don't have a trailer that will handle it. He wants $6200 for this package. I know that's high side, but am I crazy to consider this?
thanks

/ Opinions on price for a Yanmar 186D #2  
I paid $6500 for my 169D with low hours, loader, and box blade. The prices in our area seem to be high compared to some I have seen on the forum. I have no regrets on my purchase.
Dave

/ Opinions on price for a Yanmar 186D #3  
Check it out very thoroughly before paying that much. If it's good and should give years of service, then that's reasonable considering the implements and the transport. Around $5k would be more ideal, but don't lose it by haggling too long.

I looked (in Northern California) for a YM186D for a couple of years before I even found one. It's the ideal size to go under my apple orchard trees, and this is the smallest Yanmar with Powershift - which I need because it's all uneven slopes here and I got tired of stopping to shift the YM240 every 300 ft as the slope changed.

When I finally found my YM186D it was way up in Susanville (a couple of hours north of Reno), it looked like heck, and it needed the steering box rebuilt plus a few hundred $ miscellaneous repairs such as the differential lock. I paid $2500 to the seller then several hundred $ more before it was ready to put in service. This one still looks like heck, but it has been absolutely troublefree. I now use it almost exclusively and operate the YM240 only when I need its loader or backhoe. In three more years I still haven't seen another YM186D, in usable condition, within a half day's drive of here.

Summary - If you need that model, it checks out ok, and you can afford it, then do it. It could be years before you find another.

Last edited:
   / Opinions on price for a Yanmar 186D #4  
California gives good advice, and got a good deal on his 186D;

I have a 89 YM180D I bought form a guy who wanted to sell; came with; FE Loader; rear box scraper; 650 hrs has no troubles starting even in cold weather; tires are warn (rears out) has a bunch of electrical problems relating to some not so great electrical repairs and brittle wires; dented ft hood and broaken/missing plastic grill; broaken /cracked dash housing I'v repaired; the previous owner says he recently rebuild the clutch and breaks (probably);

purchased in the NW for 5K in 11. Asides from the narrow stance and leaky ft axel; its a great workhorse; and reliable. 6200 is not crazy but high; an engine rebuild is probably expensive but the ft 4wd axel is also problamatic; along with break and clutch ware ... that should give you some bargining power; good luck; pls reply back with your final purchase price and pics; OH and transport could run you 200-500 bucks (just think gas would be 200 alone for that distance ... my 2 cents. Good luck

/ Opinions on price for a Yanmar 186D #6  
It seems high to me, but not unreasonably so. It also isn't a bargain. In Phoenix, there is a craigslist ad for a spiffy looking 1610D, with a loader and a new Hoye turf tire kit. It has a box scraper and like new looking pallet forks. He is asking $6500, and claims new knuckle seals, hoses, belts and fluids. The 1610 is bit larger and more powerful than the 186, and the grey market factor certainly reduces price one would otherwise receive.

Also on craigslist is an abused looking Kubota L260 with a loader. Two wheel drive, it doesn't even run for an asking price of $2500.

The rock rake is probably impossible to replace at $500, and I doubt you could replace a box blade for $300 in your area. if you figure $300 or so to rent a trailer and drive the 400 miles, or that you are paying him the same to deliver it, you are basically buying the tractor for $5000. To me, if it is a clean, well-maintained specimen, that is a fair price. If it is not in good shape, it seems too high.

Tangential: I would really want to know what was replaced during the engine rebuild and why. Given anything like clean oil, filtered air, and a functioning cooling system, these tractors will run for thousands of hours. If it was used enough to actually wear out the engine, the rest of the machine is probably fatigued and due to break, too. If it is was neglected and overheated or run out of oil somehow, that may be a useful clue to run away, too.

Good luck in your hunt.

/ Opinions on price for a Yanmar 186D #7  
The 186d is not a gray market Yanmar. It was originally shipped to the US. That should decrease the chances of miss-matched parts. I would give the tractor a thorough inspection before purchasing. I would follow others inspection suggestions. Mine is also a domestic in great shape and why I didn't mind paying $6500.
Dave

/ Opinions on price for a Yanmar 186D #8  
Compared to the price of a garden tractor or z turn mower 5-6500 is not bad for a 4wd diesel tractor with loader and attachments that's how I look at it especially if you need more than a mower. my .002

/ Opinions on price for a Yanmar 186D #9  
The 186d is not a gray market Yanmar....

I should have been more clear. The 1610D I was referencing is a grey market machine, which means it would generally be less expensive than the same machine in US-market trim. There are not many tractors for sale on craigslist in his area, so I looked in the Phoenix area to get an idea of ballpark tractor prices for his region. A slightly larger and more powerful machine, but still with Powershift, a loader and scraper box, with the addition of pallet forks and turf tires, but without the rock rake, seems close in price to me. Since it is a grey market machine, it should be a little cheaper than a US market, so, for his area, it seems the price he was offered on the 186D is not out of line, especially since it includes delivery.

All that is predicated on the machine being in good condition etc.

/ Opinions on price for a Yanmar 186D #10  
Good advice on here. One of the main concerns I would have is why was it overhauled? Just not necessary in most cases unless misused. Then I would really be nervous. Would require some investigation. Great little units.