Home built hiller

/ Home built hiller
Yeah looks like a trip to Orshlen's for me. I need a couple 3pt lift pins and I may look at sweeps and s tines for something else to think about. I ordered a couple salvage yard donut spare tires that will fit a pair of hubs I plan on using they should be here tomorrow.

I am deciding between 2 1/2"x3/8 angle or 2 1/2" heavy sq tube as the tool bar its about half a horse apiece as far as attaching stuff now permanently with the welder but the sq tube would be more ridged and a bit more work. The sq tube on the other hand would allow me to use bar clamps that slide etc and I like that idea for future expansion of tools I will want to put on...

I figure I may try the hiller with the tires on (lazy) and if it doesn't work out (which I think it wont) I can cut the tires off the rims with a sawzall out at the garden or take them to a tire shop time will tell.
edit: I can also put regular discs on if the car rims is a bust, my wife works at a JD dealer and I can pick used discs up for free.

Last edited:
   / Home built hiller #12  
Car Doc -- not sure for a 2 1/2" square toolbar, but for a 2" square bar there are inexpensive clamps readily available. For example, clamps to hold on s-tines were $2.50 each at AgriSupply. I originally wasn't going to use a different size tube for the toolbar, but I switched to 2" because of these pre-made clamps. As you said, being able to use the toolbar for other things is appealing, so bolting things on vs welding them is the way I'm going.

/ Home built hiller
Yeah Ginormous you are probably right on the 2" I wish I had some handy. I am having a little trouble finding 2 1/2" clamps I found some at buckeye supply in ohio for $18 but I haven't done a lot of looking so far.

/ Home built hiller #14  
Doc, do as G says use the common size as you will find all kinds of sweeps n stuff to attach. I know you know a bout Agrisupply and there a good source for stuff cheap.

Well their Kultivator is far from CHEAP but they been promoting that as long as I been getting their catalogue/

Sorry about spelling and stuff worse than normal, to lazy to correct, nbut I am still a bit doped up, had all 4 wisdom teeth cut out today.

/ Home built hiller #15  
Car Doc -- Hey, I bought my 2" square to round clamps (for the hillers) at Buckeye Supply too! I found some other places that had clamps for the same purpose, but Buckeye's price was the best. Pretty simple design, but I think will get the job done. They may have the 2 1/2" s-tine clamps too, but I don't think they can compete with the $2.50 clamps at AgriSupply.

Clemson -- I had my wisdom teeth out about 20 years ago... the first week wasn't much fun. I pray you heal up quickly.

/ Home built hiller
Doc, do as G says use the common size as you will find all kinds of sweeps n stuff to attach. I know you know a bout Agrisupply and there a good source for stuff cheap.

Well their Kultivator is far from CHEAP but they been promoting that as long as I been getting their catalogue/

Sorry about spelling and stuff worse than normal, to lazy to correct, nbut I am still a bit doped up, had all 4 wisdom teeth cut out today.

Oh I feel for ya man I had all of mine done at the same time also when I was 18. Was a good thing too because they probably couldn't have got me back in to do any more yikes just don't over do it.

The one thing I also am finding is the separators in 2" - 2 1/2" diamond. That idea I like so a person can build it up with 1 or 2 more bars and set tools where ever like the sweeps to pick the tracks up for instance or anything. I sure don't want to buy one all set up wow that gets pricey.

Yeah agreed I am finding the 2" pretty common most of the 2 1/2 is for diamond bars like the ford tool bars and that wont work unless I get ford everything so I may be hunting some new steel. At this point its just time and money I haven't messed anything up...yet.

/ Home built hiller #17  
Yea I was told at about 20 that I needed them out. Should of done it then on dads dime! I had one that had gotten some decay at the gumline they said it would be fine till I took it out. I don't think they thought I had the idea of a 10 yr timeline on them. That one was decayed and broken down so bad it was infected. IT was bad had to go get some antibiotics and pain pills and here 3 weeks or so later they all 4 were removed. THe bottoms were the worst the tops were just like normal teeth though. Im right at 31 now, prolly would have been easier back then when I didn't have all the stuff to do that I have today, and even though I have good insurance I did not realize till I was in there they did not take that kind. I was wondering why my copay part was so high, it was cause my dental was picking up the bill and leaving me with a 30% payment of the total amount. Oh well that was as I was sitting ther, would have been cheaper to find someone on my list of chosen providers but that would of meant more time and having to drive an hour farther to a big city. I just went ahead and paid up. Do think it was a bit shady how they treated it though. they were suppose to call me with my payment well I had to call 2 days prior to find out my end of it and then that was not explained to me!!! errrrr ohwell its just money right??? Some people just don't think I guess they saw that I had 2 insurances and assumed I had plenty of money?? Yea 2 insurance that I pay for!!! Had I not had that dental coveralge I would have walked out and told them I would not pay a cancellation fee though.

/ Home built hiller
edit: Oh sorry I forgot to say get well! that infection must have been awful painful too yikes. :mad:

Cost of everything health related has gone sky high dentistry is out of sight I am so glad my folks fixed me up when they did. I had to drop my health insurance a few years ago got too high. I left her on but no way was I going to write another $960 monthly check and I know folks that have it a lot worse. I am waiting on the new "free" insurance to kick in.... :laughing:

We had BCBS for 24 years and I never had a claim she had both shoulders rebuilt probably a couple hundred grand totaled. I need mine done but I will be buried with mine like they are. Something else worse hopefully will kill me though if I am lucky and don't live forever in pain. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
   / Home built hiller
Well I am dumping the car wheel idea in favor of a couple used discs to put on the car hubs because it will work like it should right off.

/ Home built hiller #20  
Sorry for the Hijack doc. I am one of those govment workers with the cadilack plans. After all aren't we suppose to (according to idiots and media) get our health ins for free and then have just tiny copays?? Well we do get a good deal but its not free, and its in line with most good company plans.

Yes the infection was bad, luckily the amoxicillin took care of it in a few days, the pain pills helped with it till them but not much. It started as a small thumping annoyance when I tried to sleep..only if I thought about it. The next night worse. Then the weekend came and got bad, was taking advil or asprin as often as I could and I never take that stuff. It almost was so bad that I went to the ER. It would go in wabves, hot/cold was terrible. Monday called the super center dentist that set up shop infront of the walmart (big chain office) they said the first appointment was like 2 weeks away, FOR AN EMERGENCY!!! so I found my list of approved dentists and went to the one I chose not to cause the dentist was in his 2nd year of practice and was my age..worried about his ability, which I know is age discrimination.. The next day called them and they worked me in that same day, had to think that they work on patients in school for a few years, and he worked under his dad and uncle in practice before they retired. I liked him and he has my biz now, long story short.
I like the idea of used disks. Should be able to find piles of them at the right places or even scrap yards.

Also thought of disks from disk brakes although to get one large enough you would have to have a take off of a pretty large truck, which would be quite heavy.